Bisons Win 9-8 Despite Long Rain Delay
Sunday, April 2, 2006

April 2, 2006

Box Score

After getting swept in Saturday's double-header, not even a 4 ½ hour rain delay could keep the Bisons' from preventing a sweep at the hands of the Owls.

In a game in which the first pitch was thrown at 1 p.m., the final pitch was not thrown until approximately 8:30 p.m. The game was halted after the second inning due to rain and did not resume until 6:30.

Josh Smith got the start for the Bisons. In his two innings of work, Smith gave up three runs on four hits.

The Bisons took their first lead of the series in the bottom of the first. Trailing 1-0, Nathan Sensing led off with a walk. With two outs, Zac Miller drilled a two-run homer to left to give the Bisons a 2-0 lead.

Kennesaw State regained the lead in the top of the second after plating two runs. However, four Bisons' runs crossed the plate in the bottom of the inning, highlighted by a two-run double by Miller, to give Lipscomb a 6-3 lead.

With the completion of the second inning, play was halted due to the rain, signaling the end of Smith's day.

"Smitty [Smith] came out today and pitched well from the get go," Bisons' catcher Caleb Joseph said. "He located pretty good. But with the rain delay, it is just like an automatic that you will have a new pitcher. It is very difficult to come back after the delay and throw again.

"But Smitty kept us in there. After getting down early, he was able to hold them and let us come back."

Freshman right-hander Brandon McClurg came in to pitch for the Bisons after play resumed.

The Owls tied the game with three runs in the fifth, but the Bisons wasted not time in retaking the lead, this time for good.

Miller hit a solo home run to lead off the bottom of the fifth, his second home run of the game and his team-leading fourth of the season. He recorded five RBI's in the victory.

The Bisons tacked on another run in both the sixth and eighth innings to bring their lead to 9-7.

The Owls pulled to within one in the ninth but it was too little too late, as the Bisons pulled off the 9-8 victory.

In seven innings, McClurg gave up five runs on nine hits. He received the win to record his first collegiate victory.

"McClurg came in and shut the door," Joseph said. "It was probably his most impressive outing all year. For him to step up as a freshman was huge, especially with the importance of us not getting swept. It was important to get that one win even though we dropped two yesterday."

The Bisons' season continues on April 4, when they take on Middle Tennessee state at Ken Dugan Field. The first pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m.