KENNESAW, Ga. – The Lipscomb baseball team is set to take its first trip outside of the state lines this weekend to take on Atlantic Sun Conference foe Kennesaw State in a three-game set at Fred Stillwell stadium that gets underway on Friday.
The Bisons head into the weekend 13-9 overall and 2-1 in A-Sun play after taking a home series against Jacksonville last weekend. The Owls, 12-12 overall, opened league play at Mercer last weekend with a win against the Bears but could not take the series after dropping both ends of a twinbill on Saturday.
Friday night's game will air on http://www.ASun.TV
Lipscomb – JR – RHP – Ian Martinez-McGraw – (2-1, 4.33 ERA, 35.1 IP, 24 K, 19 BB)
Kennesaw State – JR – RHP – Nathan Harsh – (2-2, 4.97 ERA, 25.1 IP, 24 K, 10 BB)
Lipscomb – RS-JR – RHP – Hunter Brothers – (0-0, 7.50 ERA, 18.0 IP, 11 K, 19 BB)
Kennesaw State – SO – LHP – Travis Bergen – (2-3, 2.76 ERA, 29.1 IP, 31 K, 3 BB)
Lipscomb – SO – RHP – Denton Norman – (2-1, 3.65 ERA, 24.2 IP, 18 K, 10 BB)
Kennesaw State – SO – RHP –Jordan Hillyer – (2-0, 2.89 ERA, 28.0 IP, 24 K, 8 BB)
Around the horn:
- Lipscomb looks to extend its 5-game regular season winning streak against the Owls this weekend. The Bisons swept the series in Nashville in 2013 and took 2-of-3 at Dugan Field in 2012. The Owls however hold a 15-10 advantage in the series including a 9-0 mark on their home turf.
- Big innings have been a large part of the success for the team in 2014 so far. Five times this season the Bisons have posted seven or more runs in a frame. Lipscomb has also scored four or more runs in an inning 14 times so far.
- The Bisons sit atop the Atlantic Sun Conference rankings in batting average (.304), on-base percentage (.414), runs scored (180), doubles (50), triples (11) and walks (123). Lipscomb also leads the league in double plays having turned 20 pitcher’s best friends. On the mound, Lipscomb leads the league in opposing batting average (.239) and runners picked off (6).
- A number of players rank among the league leaders including junior shortstop Grant Massey who leads the league in walks (22), ranks tied for the lead in doubles (9), third in runs scored (22) and seventh in on-base percentage (.448). Junior second baseman Mike Korte leads the A-Sun in on-base percentage (.490) and ranks second in runs scored (23) and walks (21). Senior outfielder Drew Adams ranks second in the league in RBIs (25) and triples (3), and third in walks (17). Junior centerfielder Jonathan Allison is tied for fourth in runs scored (20) and fifth in doubles (8). Junior utility player Tyson Ashcraft ranks sixth in slugging percentage (.542) and is tied for third in total bases (45) and fourth in home runs (3).
- Redshirt-freshman catcher Tyler Bethune leads the league in sacrifice hits (7) and was a key part to the Bisons 3-1 week last week. Bethune hit .667 on the week and drove in eight runs in three games behind the dish.
- Having drawn 124 free passes on the season, the Bisons ranked fourth nationally coming into the week trailing only Oregon State, Tennessee Tech and Oklahoma State.
- With 48 doubles on the season, the Bisons entered the week tied for fifth in the nation with Florida State and San Diego State.
- Lipscomb also ranked in the top five nationally in runs scored with 127 coming across the dish.
- Senior outfielder Drew Adams and junior shortstop Grant Massey managed a first in school history earlier in March as the duo became the Bisons to have claimed back-to-back A-Sun Player of the Week honors.
- With a doubleheader sweep against Oakland on March 8, Lipscomb skipper Jeff Forehand picked up career win No. 400.