|May 13, 2014||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: WALTON (1-2)||1.1||0||0||0||1||1|
|Loss: ASHCRAFT (1-4)||0.2||2||1||1||0||1|
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Wrapping up the 2014 nonconference slate, the Lipscomb baseball team returns home on Tuesday night to host Austin Peay at 6 p.m. at Ken Dugan Field at Stephen L. Marsh Stadium.
The Bisons and Governors met earlier this season in Clarksville with the Purple and Gold taking a 14-6 win that snapped a 10-game skid against APSU.
Lipscomb freshman southpaw John Pryor (2-2, 4.38 ERA) is scheduled to return to the hill for the first time since April 15 against Belmont when the rookie took a line drive off his jaw. The hit required Pryor to spend several days in the hospital and required surgery to repair the jaw.
Pryor is set to throw against Austin Peay’s Caleb Powell (0-1, 7.65 ERA), who will make his ninth start of the season for the Governors.
Lipscomb – John Pryor – FR – LHP – (2-2, 4.38 ERA, 37.0 IP, 29 K, 22 BB)
Austin Peay – Caleb Powell – FR – RHP – (0-1, 7.65 ERA, 42.1 IP, 31 K, 21 BB)
- The two teams have met 25 times in the NCAA era with the Govs holding an 18-7 advantage in the all-time series. The Bisons snapped a 10-game skid against APSU earlier this season.
- Big innings have been a large part of the success for the team in 2014. Six times this season the Bisons have posted seven or more runs in a frame. Lipscomb has also scored four or more runs in an inning 18 times.
- The Bisons sit atop the Atlantic Sun Conference rankings in runs scored (304) and walks (237). On the mound, Lipscomb leads the league in opposing batting average (.243) and fewest hits allowed (409).
- Lipscomb ranks fourth in the nation in double plays having turned 57 pitcher’s best friends.
- Junior shortstop Grant Massey ranks among the A-Sun’s leaders in multiple categories: tied for fifth in doubles (16), tied for fifth in stolen bases (11), eighth in runs scored (41), and on-base percentage (.423).
- Massey is beginning to climb the Lipscomb career chart in just one season, ranking fifth in on-base percentage (.422) and 10th in batting average (.318).
- Senior outfielder Drew Adams ranks fifthin the A-Sun and 59th in the nation with 45 RBIs. Adams ranks 10th on Lipscomb’s career RBI chart with 76, one behind current graduate assistant Branden Cadavid. With six career triples Adams is just one shy of tying the school’s career record of seven.
- Lipscomb ranks ninth in the nation in walks, having drawn 237. Massey (37), Mike Korte (34) and Adams (32) rank as the top three in the A-Sun in drawing free passes.
- Allison is tied for fourth in the conference with four triples and is just one shy of tying Lipscomb’s single-season record.
- Senior Jacob Knott stands eighth on Lipscomb’s career-saves list with five.
- The Bisons rank 34th in the nation with 94 doubles this season.
- Lipscomb ranks 15th nationally with 18 triples and 41st in runs scored, plating 304.
- With a doubleheader sweep against Oakland on March 8, Lipscomb skipper Jeff Forehand picked up career win No. 400.