NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Fresh off a series win over Xavier, the Lipscomb baseball team will look to keep its winnings ways Tuesday when the Bisons host rival Belmont at 6 p.m. in the “Battle of the Boulevard” baseball style at Ken Dugan Field at Stephen L. Marsh Stadium.
Lipscomb (13-7) enters Tuesday with a 12-2 record at home.
The non-conference tilt will feature a matchup between Lipscomb redshirt junior Jaesung Hwang and Belmont sophomore righty Dom Viltri.
The Purple and Gold boast the top pitching staff in the Atlantic Sun with a 3.22 ERA and one of the top offensive threats in Jonathan Allison.
The senior outfielder is fresh off a three-RBI weekend that saw him go 4-for-11 at the plate with his second home run of the season and his seventh double.
Allison leads the team with 20 RBI and 13 walks on the year.
If you are unable to make out to the game, check out the live stats HERE.
To purchase tickets log on to http://www.LipscombTickets.com
Belmont (12-8) enters the midweek tilt winners of its last nine, including a three-game sweep of Morehead State over the weekend.
Matt Beaty leads four Bruins with a plus .300 batting average. Beaty carries a lofty .415 average at the plate in 20 games played. He also leads the team in home runs (6), RBI (32), doubles (10) and hits (34).
Beaty was recently named Ohio Valley Co-Player for the second time this season after going 7-for-15 at the dish last week.
Lipscomb – Jaesung Hwang – RJr. – RHP – (1-1, 3.71 ERA, 17.0 IP, 7 ER, 12 K, 4 BB)
Belmont – Dom Veltri – So. – RHP – (1-2, 5.25 ERA, 12.0 IP, 7 ER, 10 K, 4 BB)
Weather at Game TIme
March 24 – 69 degrees – Partly cloudy (0%)
Check with LipscombSports.com or follow @BisonBaseball on twitter for updates on the team or any time changes with the game.
- Lipscomb and Belmont have met 37 times in the series history. The Bruins hold a 21-16 advantage and have won 10 of the last 12 against the Bisons after sweeping both games last season.
- The Bisons lead the conference and rank 21st nationally with nine triples on the year.
- Lipscomb boasts the second best fielding percentage in the A-Sun at .973. That total is stands 44th in the country.
- As a team the Bisons hold a 3.22 ERA. That is tops in the league and 53rd nationally.
- Ian Martinez-McGraw leads the staff with a 0.95 ERA. That ranks 17th across Division I
- The pitching staff also leads the A-Sun in hits allowed (156), runs allowed (80), walks allowed (58), runners picked off (10) and saves (5).
- Five Bisons are batting over .300 (Allison-.397, Hooker-.389, Gigliotti-.383, A. Lee- .370, Massey- .328)
- Allison ranks second in the A-Sun with a .417 slugging percentage.
- Grant Massey leads the team with an 8-game hitting streak. His 10-game on-base streak also leads the team.
- Jeffrey Crisan leads the league having thrown out eight attempted base stealers Tyler Bethune led the team last season with 11.
Following Tuesday’s game, Lipscomb will travel to Murfreesboro to take on Middle Tennessee Wednesday (Mar. 25) in a makeup game due to the postponement of the Feb. 17 meeting. First pitch is set to be thrown at 6 p.m.