NASHVILLE, Tenn. – After compiling four wins last week the Lipscomb baseball team will look to continue its winnings ways on Tuesday as the Bisons travel up the road to Belmont for the second edition of the Battle of the Boulevard. First pitch is scheduled for 5 p.m. at Rose Park.
Lipscomb (17-8) is off to the best start in school history in the first 25 games of a season. The Bisons took victories over Belmont, Middle Tennessee and Georgetown (2) last week.
The non-conference tilt will feature a matchup between Lipscomb freshman Brady Puckett and Belmont senior lefty Patrick McGrath.
Senior outfielder Jonathan Allison earned his first career Atlantic Sun Player of the Week honor on Monday after helping the Bisons to a 4-1 record last week. Allison finished the stretch 10-for-19 at the plate with nine RBI, six runs scored, four walks and four stolen bases. He also ripped his eighth double and third homer of the season.
Allison now ranks first in the A-Sun in on-base percentage (.495), second in batting average (.402) and third in slugging (.609).
He is tied with Grant Massey for the team lead and they rank sixth in the conference in hits with 37. Allison’s 29 RBI also rank sixth.
Belmont (13-11) enters the contest as the talk of the town after running over and around UT-Martin 34-10 on Sunday. The Bruins combined for 12 home runs in the game and set multiple NCAA records in the process, including bringing 26 batters to the plate, recording 18 hits and scoring 20 runs in the sixth inning.
With the success on Sunday however, Belmont did drop 3-of-4 last week, including a 10-9 loss at Lipscomb.
Six Bruins are batting over .300, while two are above .400, led by Matt Beaty’s .420 clip. He leads the team with seven home runs, 13 doubles, 38 RBI and 42 hits. He went 2-for-4 against the Bisons last Tuesday with two RBI and a run scored.
Lipscomb – Brady Puckett– Fr. – RHP – (2-0, 3.66 ERA, 19.2 IP, 8 ER, 17 K, 9 BB)
Belmont – Patrick McGrath – Sr. – LHP – (2-1, 4.98 ERA, 21.2 IP, 12 ER, 18 K, 11 BB)
Weather at Game Time
March 31 – 74 degrees – Partly Cloudy (20%) Winds WNW at 10 mph.
Check with LipscombSports.com or follow @BisonBaseball on twitter for updates on the team or any time changes with the game.
- Lipscomb and Belmont have met 38 times in the series history. The Bruins hold a 21-17 advantage and have won 10 of the last 13 against the Bisons.
- The Bisons lead the conference and rank 13th nationally with 11 triples on the year.
- Lipscomb boasts the second best fielding percentage in the A-Sun at .976. That total is stands 24th in the country.
- As a team the Bisons hold a 3.38 ERA. That is tops in the league and 58th nationally.
- With 39 stolen bases this season the Bisons rank second in the A-Sun and 41st in the country.
- The pitching staff also leads the A-Sun in hits allowed (194), runs allowed (102), opposing batting average (.242) and saves (7).
- Five Bisons are batting over .300 (Allison-.402, Massey - .389, Gigliotti - .356, A. Lee - .313 , Hooker-.302)
- Grant Massey leads the team with an 13-game hitting streak. His 15-game on-base streak also leads the team.
- Jeffrey Crisan leads the league having thrown out nine attempted base stealers Tyler Bethune led the team last season with 11.
Following Tuesday’s game, Lipscomb will travel to Jacksonville, Florida to start conference play with the Jacksonville Dolphins. With it being Easter weekend, the series will be played Thursday-Saturday so everyone will be off on Sunday. Thursday’s first pitch is set for 5:30 p.m. CT.