NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb baseball team will look to get back on track Tuesday when it hosts Murray State for a midweek non-conference contest at Ken Dugan Field at Stephen L. Marsh Stadium. First pitch is slated for 6 p.m.
The Bisons (20-13, 2-4 A-Sun) split four games last week, downing No. 1 Vanderbilt last Tuesday before taking 1-of-3 from North Florida over the weekend.
Sophomore Hunter Hanks broke out of a slump in the four-game stretch going 8-for-16 with four RBI. The third baseman also scored four runs, hit two doubles and launched his first two home runs of the season.
Junior Kyle Weller will get his first career start on the mound for Lipscomb Tuesday. He is 3-0 in 12 relief appearances this year. In 15.1 innings pitched he has struck out 12 batters and surrendered five earned runs. In his last outing on Sunday, Weller had trouble finding the strike zone throwing eight pitches, all balls.
The game will be broadcasted on ASunTV and there will also be live stats available.
Scouting Murray State:
Murray State (14-22, 9-6 OVC) enters the tilt on a four-game losing streak after getting swept last weekend by Samford.
The Racers are batting .245 as a team and are led by Brock Downey’s .302 clip. Tyler Lawrence has provided the power for MSU this season, leading the team in home runs (5), RBI (26) and walks (18).
Sheldon Baxter gets the start on the mound Tuesday with a 0-1 record. The lefty has made five starts on the year but has not lasted more than 4.0 innings in any outing. He tossed three frames Sunday against Samford, scattering two hits and two unearned runs with two strikeouts.
Weather at Game Time:
April 14th – 64 degrees – Cloudy (20%) Winds NE 9 MPH
Check with LipscombSports.com or follow @BisonBaseball on twitter for updates on the team or any time changes with the game.
Lipscomb – Kyle Weller– RHP (3-0, 2.93 ERA, 15.1 IP, 6 R, 5 ER, 12 K, 9 BB)
Murray State – Sheldon Baxter– LHP (0-1, 5.40 ERA, 21.2 IP, 15 R, 13 ER, 24 K, 6 BB)
- The two teams have met 16 times in the series history with Lipscomb leading 10-6. The last meeting came in 2010 when Murray State visited Music City for a three-game season-opening series. The Racers took all three games (8-7, 16-6, 8-3).
- Lipscomb enters the contest 16-5 at home this season.
- The Bisons rank 75th nationally having hit 63 doubles.
- The .977 team fielding percentage is 22nd in the country and second in the A-Sun.
- Lipscomb has shown some speed on the base paths this season, ranking 22nd in triples (13) and 34th in stolen bases (52).
After the midweek tilt Lipscomb will hit the road for a three-game Atlantic Sun Conference series at USC Upstate. Friday’s first pitch in Spartanburg, South Carolina is scheduled for 5 p.m. CT.