|May 01, 2015||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: MARTINEZ-MCGRAW (6-2)||6.1||10||0||0||3||3|
|Loss: DESGUIN (5-1)||7.0||5||5||5||1||4|
|May 02, 2015||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: PASSANTINO (2-1)||8.1||4||0||0||2||5|
|Loss: MURRAY (4-6)||8.1||6||1||1||1||7|
|May 03, 2015||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: PUCKETT (4-2)||8.0||2||0||0||2||5|
|Loss: ANDERSON (4-1)||8.0||5||3||1||0||2|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - Fresh off a midweek tuneup against Middle Tennessee, the Lipscomb baseball team resumes Atlantic Sun Conference play on Friday night to open a three-game set at Florida Gulf Coast in Fort Myers.
The Bisons (27-15, 6-6 A-Sun) enter the contest on the heels of a 12-3 victory against the Blue Raiders on Tuesday night. The Eagles (24-19-1, 7-4 A-Sun) enter the series red hot as winners of five straight and seven of their last 10 contests behind the top pitching staff in the league.
The series gets underway on Friday night at 5:30 p.m. CT with senior righty and the A-Sun’s ERA leader Ian Martinez-McGraw (2.24) on the hill. Saturday’s game is set for 1 p.m. while the series finale will start at noon on Sunday.
Lipscomb and FGCU have met 25 times in the all-time series history with the Eagles holding a 14-11 edge. The Bisons took two-of-three from FGCU in last season’s regular season meeting, before ending their season with two victories (5-4 and 11-4) over the Eagles in the A-Sun Tournament.
There will be live stats available for each game HERE. Due to FGCU hosting the A-Sun Softball Championship, there will be no video for any of the games this weekend. Follow along with the live stats and @BisonBaseball on twitter for in-game updates throughout the series.
Lipscomb – Ian Martinez-McGraw – RHP (5-2, 2.24 ERA, 68.1 IP, 25 R, 17 ER, 42 K, 27 BB)
FGCU – Michael Murray – RHP (4-5, 3.72 ERA, 72.2 IP, 33 R, 30 ER, 77 K, 10 BB)
Lipscomb – Jeffrey Passantino – RHP (1-1, 3.26 ERA, 38.2 IP, 15 R, 14 ER, 45 K, 11 BB)
FGCU – Jordan Desguin– RHP (5-0, 2.60 ERA, 45.0 IP, 16 R, 13 ER, 44 K, 8 BB)
Lipscomb – Brady Puckett – RHP (4-2, 6.80 ERA, 43.2 IP, 33 R, 33 ER, 28 K, 18 BB)
FGCU – Brady Anderson – RHP (4-0, 3.67 ERA, 68.2 IP, 39 R, 28 ER, 48 K, 14 BB) or Nick Deckert - LHP (2-0, 3.38 ERA, 24.0 IP, 10 R, 9 ER, 26 K, 14 BB)
Weather at Game Time:
May 1st – 85 degrees – Mostly Sunny (0%) Winds NW 14 MPH
May 2nd – 86 degrees – Partly Cloudy (20%) Winds NE 12 MPH
May 3rd – 87 degrees – Mostly Sunny (0%) Winds ENE 14 MPH
Check with LipscombSports.com or follow @BisonBaseball on twitter for updates on the team or any time changes with the game.
Around the Horn:
- Lipscomb skipper Jeff Forehand is six wins from getting his 450th career victory. He enters the game 444-413-1 in his 15th season as a head coach.
- Martinez-McGraw leads the league in ERA (2.24) and ranks sixth in opposing batting average (.253) and innings pitched (68.1). He is third on the A-Sun active career leaders with 14 wins.
- Senior shortstop Grant Massey ranks among the A-Sun’s leaders in multiple categories: fourth in assists (138) and stolen bases (14), seventh in batting average (.354), ninth in hits (57), 11th in on-base percentage (.418) and RBI (34).
- The Bisons have been one of the top bunting teams in the country, ranking sixth nationally with 24 as a team. 17 of those have come from the bat of freshman Michael Gigliotti, which is tops in the country.
- Senior second baseman Mike Korte is ninth in the nation with 12 sacrifice bunts on the year.
- Lipscomb leads the conference and ranks 25th nationally with 70 stolen bases on the year. Massey and Gigliotti lead the team with 14, while Allison has 12, making the Bisons the only team in the A-Sun with three players with double digit swipes.
- Allison ranks sixth in the league with 40 runs driven in and 13 doubles. His 25 walks are seventh, 12 stolen bases are eighth. He ranks eighth in on-base percentage (.426), ninth in slugging percentage (.506) and 11th in batting average (.335).
- Gigliotti’s 40 runs scored are the fifth most in the A-Sun while his 57 hits are 10th most.
- Gigliotti and Hooker each have three triples. That is fourth most in the conference and two shy from tying the school’s NCAA single-season record.
- Jason Ziegler stands third on the school’s NCAA-career saves list with eight. Nick Andros is 10th with five.
- Andros is the league’s active career leader in win-loss percentage at .770. (10 wins – 3 losses)
The Bisons will venture back to Nashville next week to host Western Kentucky on Tuesday at 6 p.m. at Dugan Field. Following the midweek contest, Stetson will come to town for a three-game set May 8-10.