ASHVILLE, Tenn. – After falling victim to Tennessee over the weekend, the Lipscomb baseball team will look to even the season series Tuesday when it travels to Knoxville to face the Volunteers in a 3 p.m. CT midweek tilt at Lindsey Nelson Stadium.
The Bisons (3-1) got excellent pitching Saturday through the first eight innings and entered the ninth inning tied 0-0, but ran into trouble surrendering six runs on six hits to let the Vols (2-2) escape with a 6-0 victory at Emerson, Georgia.
Lipscomb swept Butler in its season-opening series (9-3, 9-8, 8-3), while Tennessee dropped 2-of-3 to Florida International in Miami, Florida (3-4, 9-2, 0-3).
Lipscomb: Jaesung (J) Hwang – RHP – (First Appearance)
Tennessee: Hunter Martin -RHP – (0-0, 3.00 ERA, 3.0 IP, 4 K, 3 BB)
- Tennessee leads the all-time series 9-1 against Lipscomb, including a 5-0 record in Knoxville.
- Tuesday’s tilt will be the 2015 home opener for the Vols.
- Hwang will look to make his first appearance since May 24, 2013 when he got the win over Florida Gulf Coast in the A-Sun Tournament. He went 7.2 innings, gave up five hits and one earned run with five strikeouts. He was sidelined all of 2014 after suffering a season-ending arm injury.
- Senior shortstop Grant Massey enters the game riding a 13-game hitting streak. He has also reached base safely in 19 straight. Both streaks date back to last season.
- Lipscomb leads the A-Sun in team ERA (3.25), hits allowed (37), runs allowed (20) and walks allowed (13).
- Individually Jonathan Allison leads the conference in batting (.500), while Michael Gigliotti (.467) and Adam Lee (.462) rank fifth and sixth, respectively.
- Allison also is tops in on-base percentage, .611.
- Lipscomb’s .404 on-base percentage ranks 2nd in the league.
- The Bisons are batting .291 as a team – 4th in the A-Sun.
The Bisons will return home for a 3-game series with LaSalle this weekend. Game times are set for Friday at 4 p.m., Saturday 2 p.m., and Sunday 1 p.m.