BOWLING GREEN, Ky. – Fresh off its sweep of Quinnipiac over the weekend, the Lipscomb baseball team will travel north Tuesday on I-65 to take on Western Kentucky in a 6 p.m. midweek non-conference tilt at Nick Denes Field.
The Bisons (11-5) had an all-around impressive performance this past weekend with the offense producing 17 runs on 30 hits, while the pitchers limited the Bobcats to just five runs on 15 hits. On Friday led by Ian Martinez-McGraw’s strong outing on the mound, Lipscomb recorded its first shutout of the year in a 5-0 win.
Plenty of Bisons have been hot at the plate, but none more than the duo of senior outfielder Jonathan Allison and redshirt junior first baseman Adam Lee.
Allison finished the week 7-for-17 with nine RBI and four runs scored. He also ripped a couple of extra-base hits with a double and a home run.
Adam Lee batted .500 (7-for-14) with six runs scored, four RBI, two home runs and one double.
Tuesday redshirt junior Jaesung Hwang will get the nod on the hill. He has had two impressive starts this season, but gave the Lipscomb fans plenty to be excited about in his last outing against Tennessee Tech. Hwang tossed seven innings while allowing just one run on four hits. He tied his career high with seven strikeout and did not allow a walk.
The Hilltoppers (9-9) is coming off a week where they split two games with No. 13 Mississippi State and took 2-of-3 from Old Dominion in their Conference USA opening series.
Four players are batting over .300 for WKU, including Philip Diedrick and Leiff Clarkson’s team-leading .348 clip.
Anderson Miller provides the power for the Hilltoppers with four home runs. As a team, they have 14. Miller also leads the team having crossed the plate 17 times.
Ryan Church is the team’s top run-producer with 19 RBI.
Lipscomb: Jaesung Hwang– RHP (1-0, 2.25 ERA, 12.0 IP, 3 ER, 10 K, 3 BB)
Western Ky: Logan Weins– LHP (0-0, 4.50 ERA, 6.0 IP, 3 ER, 1 K, 2 BB)
Weather at Game TIme
March 17 – 58 degrees – Partly cloudy (0%)
Check with LipscombSports.com or follow @BisonBaseball on twitter for updates on the team or any time changes with the game.
- WKU leads the all-time series 39-36-1 and has won eight of the last 12 meetings dating back to 2004.
- The two teams split their meeting in 2014, with Lipscomb taking a 10-2 decision in Nashville. The Bisons last won in Bowling Green Mar. 20, 2013 in a 10-innning affair (5-4).
- Lipscomb's .289 batting average ranks 58th in the nation. It has also recorded 10-plus hits in nine games this season.
- The Bisons boast the top pitching staff in the conference with a stingy 3.19 team ERA.
- Lipscomb leads the A-Sun in slugging percentage (.431) and ranks 39th nationally.
- Allan Hooker's .806 slugging percentage is seventh best across the NCAA Divsion I.
- Five Bisons are batting over .300 (Allison-.397, Hooker-.389, Gigliotti-.383, A. Lee- .370, Massey- .328)
- Allison ranks second in the A-Sun with a .507 on-base percentage.
- Michael Gigliotti leads the team with a 10-game hitting streak.
- Jeffrey Crisan leads the league in runners caught stealing – 7.
- Allison and Josh Lee led the team with six doubles.
After the midweek tilt Lipscomb will return home to host Xavier in a three-game series. Friday’s first pitch is slated for 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday will start at 2 p.m. and 1 p.m., respectively.