NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb baseball team is set for a quick trip to Murfreesboro on Tuesday for a nonconference tilt against in-state foe Middle Tennessee at 3 p.m. at Reese Smith Jr. Field.
The Blue Raiders head into the contest 2-1 on the season after sweeping a doubleheader Saturday against Big Ten power, Indiana.
Lipscomb (2-1) will look to carry its momentum from a season-opening series win over Eastern Kentucky by sending junior lefty John Pryor to the hill to take on MTSU’s Jake Wyrick.
Although the Bisons took both meetings from the Blue Raider a season ago, Middle Tennessee still holds a narrow 15-13 margin in the all-time series in Lipscomb’s NCAA era.
Lipscomb – LHP John Pryor – (0-0, 8.10 ERA, 3.1 IP, 3 ER, 6 K, 1 BB)
Middle Tennessee – LHP Jake Wyrick - (N/A)
Around the Horn:
- The Bisons head into Tuesday night’s contest looking to make it 3-straight wins in the series after 8-1, 11-3 wins in 2015.
- Sophomore Lee Solomon made his first career start Friday, going 3-for-3. For the weekend, he finished 5-for-9 with four runs, three RBI, three walks, a double, a triple and a stolen base.
- The Purple and Gold drew an Atlantic Sun Conference leading 13 walks against the Colonels pitching staff.
- Sophomore center fielder and leadoff man Michael Gigliotti reached base all three games over the weekend to push his on-base streak to 35 games.
- Head coach Jeff Forehand enters the midweek tilt just three wins shy of No. 250 as the skipper of the Bisons. He is currently 247-277 in his 10th
Lipscomb will play host, along with Belmont and Middle Tennessee, to the 2016 Mule Mix Classic. The trio of teams will welcome Army West Point, Miami (OH) and Western Michigan to the Music City.
The Bisons will face off with Miami (OH) at 4 p.m. Friday, Feb. 26 at Dugan Field, before hosting Army at 2 p.m. Saturday and WMU at noon Sunday.