NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb baseball team returns home to face Eastern Illinois in a midweek contest at Ken Dugan Field at Stephen L. Marsh Stadium. The first pitch will be thrown at 4 p.m. Tuesday.
The Bisons (9-7) are fresh off a weekend that saw them drop all three games to Georgia in Athens. Friday Lipscomb battled back from a four-run deficit to take a lead in the ninth inning before the Bulldogs tied it up and eventually walked it off 9-8 in 11 innings.
Saturday the Purple and Gold got a dominant pitching performance from sophomore Jeffrey Passantino, but a lack of offense saw the Bisons fall 1-0 in another walk-off fashion.
Sunday UGA pounded its way to an 8-2 series sweep after outhitting Lipscomb 13-4.
There will be live stats HERE.
Scouting Eastern Illinois:
The Panthers enter the contest 1-14 overall on the year. Though EIU has dropped five straight game, its lone win on the season did come against No. 12 Arkansas in Fayetteville. The game saw both teams enter the 12th frame even, but the Panthers plated two runs to take their first victory of the season 10-8.
EIU is led offensively by Josh Turnock’s .563 average. In just seven games, he has nine hits in 16 at bats. Cale Hennemann (.352) and Dane Toppel (.310) are the only other Panthers batting over .300.
Senior veteran and starting pitcher Johansmeier enters the contest tied for seventh all-time in EIU history for career starts. He is just two innings shy of breaking into the top 10 for career innings pitched as well.
The staff as a whole carries a 6.66 ERA and has 93 K and 81 walks in 124.1 innings thrown.
Lipscomb – RHP – Adam Stewart: (1-0, 5.73 ERA, 11.0 IP, 7 ER, 14 K, 4 BB)
Eastern Illinois – RHP – Jake Johansmeier: (0-2, 9.35 ERA, 8.2 IP, 9 ER, 1 K, 7 BB)
Around the Herd:
- Tuesday’s tilt will be the first ever meeting between the two schools.
- Lipscomb ranks eighth in the nation and first in the A-Sun with 90 walks.
- The team’s 35 stolen bases are sixth-most in the NCAA. That is 11 more than any other team in the A-Sun.
- Michael Gigliotti ranks second in the A-Sun in runs scored with 18, just two behind the leader.
- Adam Lee’s 18 RBI are third most in the conference. The leader sits at 23.
- Von Watson is tied for the league’s lead with six doubles.
- Lee (15) and Lee Solomon (14) are the top two in the A-Sun in walks. Allan Hooker is fifth with 12.
- Gigliotti and Solomon are tied for the league’s lead with nine stolen bases. Hooker is fourth with six.
- Lee leads the A-Sun in total fielding chances (143) and putouts (137).
- Hunter Hanks is tied for 12th nationally with five sacrifice bunts.
The Bisons will host Eastern Michigan in a three-game series this weekend in the Music City at Dugan Field. Friday’s contest will see the first 6 p.m. game of the season for Lipscomb, before closing the set with 2 p.m. and 1 p.m. tilts on Saturday and Sunday.