|March 25, 2016||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Miss. Valley State||0||0||0||1||0||0||0||0||0||1||4||1|
|Win: GLENN (2-0)||9.0||4||1||0||1||5|
|Loss: Arrington Smith (1-4)||5.0||7||5||5||4||8|
|Edward Cox (MVSUBB16)||3||0||1||0||1||0|
|Arrington Smith (MVSUBB16)||2||1||1||0||0||0|
|Alex Bravo (MVSUBB16)||4||0||1||1||0||0|
|Chris McWright (MVSUBB16)||3||0||1||0||0||0|
NASHVILLE, Tenn .- After a tough loss earlier in the week, the Lipscomb baseball team rebounded with a 7-1 victory over Mississippi Valley State on Friday at Ken Dugan Field at Stephen L. Marsh Stadium.
Senior lefthander Cody Glenn went the distance for his best outing of the season. He surrendered just four hits and one unearned run. The Houston, Texas native also struck out five batters and only allowed one walk.
"This was the kind of outing we have been waiting on from him," Lipscomb skipper Jeff Forehand said. "He gave up a couple of hits early, but was able to settle down and finish out his first complete game here at Lipscomb. It was just an all around solid performance."
Lipscomb (13-9) wasted little time in pulling ahead of the Delta Devils as Michael Gigliotti walked to lead off the first and freshman third baseman Zeke Dodson drove him in with an infield single.
An eruption of offense in the bottom of the second gave the Bisons a 5-0 lead. After loading the bases with three consecutive singles, Gigliotti drove in Von Watson with a sacrifice fly. Adam Lee then ripped a single to left field to plate Allan Hooker. A 2-RBI double from Dodson completed the four-run frame.
"Thank goodness we had that big second inning," Forehand said. "Their (MVSU) pitcher did a pretty good job against us. He struck us out 10 times, but we were able to get some big innings and get the win. It wasn't our best game at the plate, but it was good enough to get the job done."
Mississippi Valley (4-15) scratched its only run across in the top of the fourth as Alex Bravo doubled down the right field line to score Arrington Smith, who had reached on an error.
The Delta Devils produced a highlight-reel play in the third inning that was easily worthy of SportsCenter consideration when center fielder Edward Cox, while running full speed, dove over his shoulder to make a diving grab on the warning track, robbing Watson of a double.
In the eighth, Gigliotti drove the ball to deep center and the Delta Devils were unable to make a play. Gigilotti showed off his wheels by speeding around the bases for an inside the park home run. Hooker also scored on the play to round out the night’s scoring.
Around the Horn:
- Friday’s game was the first meeting between the two schools.
- Glenn lowered his ERA to 4.25 and picked up his second victory of the season.
- Lee extended his team leading on-base streak to 12 games. Dodson is as seven.
- The Bisons drew four free passes and now have 128 walks on the year.
- The 10 hits mark the eight double-digit hit game of the season for the Bisons offense.
- With only four hits allowed, Friday's contest was the second fewest hits allowed this season by the staff. Lipscomb surrendered just three in the series finale against Eastern Michigan last weekend.
- For the second time this year Lipscomb's opponent did not record an extra-base hit.
- With three RBI, Gigliotti now has two multi-RBI games this season.
- Dodson went 2-4 with 3 RBI and a double. Lee and Allan Hooker joined Dodson as the lone Bisons to record multiple hits.
The two teams will meet again tomorrow for a doubleheader at Dugan Field. Game one will begin at noon and game two will begin at approximately 3:30 p.m. Jeffrey Passantino (4-1, 2.83 ERA) will start the first game while Brady Puckett (4-1, 2.31 ERA) will start the second contest.
"I think it is a good thing that we are playing two tomorrow, because we could end up having to play two in the same day in the conference tournament," Forehand said. "It should be a beautiful day out tomorrow and we should have a good crowd."