|April 08, 2016||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: JACKSON (4-2)||7.0||4||3||3||2||8|
|Loss: GLENN (2-1)||4.0||5||4||4||2||4|
|April 09, 2016||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10||R||H||E|
|Win: STEWART (3-1)||1.1||1||0||0||0||1|
|Loss: BIRKLUND (1-3)||1.1||2||1||0||0||2|
|April 10, 2016||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: KEMP (1-1)||2.0||1||0||0||1||3|
|Loss: LACELL (0-3)||0.1||3||2||1||0||0|
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Atlantic Sun Conference play is finally here for the Lipscomb baseball team this weekend as the Bisons return home on Friday to begin a three-game series hosting USC Upstate at 6 p.m. at Ken Dugan Field at Stephen Lee Marsh Stadium in Nashville.
All three games are slated to air on ESPN3 as the Bisons make their home debut on the platform. Saturday’s contest is scheduled for a 2 p.m. first pitch followed by a 1 p.m. start on Sunday.
Scouting USC Upstate:
The Spartans (14-15, 0-2 A-Sun) head to the “Music City” having won six of their last nine contests. Upstate opened league action last weekend at league newcomer NJIT falling 4-2 on Friday and 8-6 on Saturday before Sunday’s game was canceled due to weather issues. They returned home on Tuesday and Wednesday hosting UNC Ashville and Presbyterian, respectively. The Spartans topped UNC Ashville 9-3 before falling 6-5 to Presbyterian.
Senior centerfielder Cody Brittain leads the club with a .384 average at the dish and ranks second on the team with 19 runs scored and 17 RBIs. The Spartans are also getting a lot of production from senior right fielder James Fowlkes, who is hitting .354 with a team best 19 runs driven in and five home runs.
The Spartan pitching staff has combined for a 4.02 team ERA which ranks third best in the A-Sun. Upstate pitchers have allowed 114 earned runs and are holding opponents to a .259 batting average. They have also allowed a league low nine home runs on the season. Friday night starter Tyler Jackson leads the league with 58 strikeouts and has issued just five free passes in 43 innings of work.
Lipscomb: LHP – Cody Glenn (2-0, 4.25 ERA, 29.2 IP, 14 ER, 21 K, 9 BB)
USC Upstate: RHP – Tyler Jackson (3-2, 3.09 ERA, 43.2 IP, 15 ER, 58 K, 5 BB)
Lipscomb: RHP – Jeffrey Passantino (5-1, 2.44 ERA, 48.0 IP, 13 ER, 46 K, 8 BB)
USC Upstate: RHP – Blake Whitney (0-3, 4.50 ERA, 32.0 IP, 16 ER, 27 K, 11 BB)
Lipscomb: RHP – Brady Puckett (5-2, 3.21 ERA, 47.2 IP, 17 ER, 43 K, 11 BB)
USC Upstate: RHP – Zack Mitchell (5-2, 3.42 ERA, 34.1 IP, 13 ER, 36 K, 11 BB).
- Lipscomb enters Friday’s opener with a 12-9 lead in the all-time series after sweeping all three meetings in 2015. The Bisons hold a 6-3 advantage over the Spartans at Dugan Field.
- Michael Gigliotti has 12 bunt singles this season in 17 tries. He finished his freshman campaign as the national leader with 22.
- Lipscomb is 16-2 at the friendly confines of Dugan Field this season, and 0-11 on the road. When at home, the Bisons are batting .313 with a 4.13 staff ERA. Those numbers plummet to .197 and 8.34 when on the road.
- The Bisons have been deadly on the base paths this season, ranking 4th in the nation with 61 stolen bases. That is currently the sixth most in a single season in school history, just one behind 2014’s 62.
- Lee Solomon’s 20 stolen bases are the fifth most in a single season in school history. He needs two more to move into fourth. Tyler Wilson swiped a program record 40 in 2010.
- Solomon, Gigliotti (13) and Adam Lee (10) stand as three of the top four base stealers in the A-Sun.
- Drawing 163 free passes on the season, the Bisons rank ninth nationally. Mercer (187), Belmont (177) and Murray State (173) are the top three.
- Big innings have been a large part of the success for the team in 2016 so far. Nine times this season the Bisons have posted five or more runs in a frame. Lipscomb has also scored four or more tallies in an inning 16 times so far.
- Lee Solomon is sixth in the NCAA in stolen bases (20), 13th in stolen bases per game (0.69) and 15th in walks (27).
- Solomon also ranks among A-Sun leaders in multiple categories: first in runs scored (31), stolen bases and walks, second in on-base percentage (.485), third in double plays (20), fourth in RBI (28), sixth in fielding assists (67)and 11th in batting average (.333).
- Adam Lee is the nation’s 18th-best RBI man, knocking in 37 thus far on the year. His 1.28 RBI per game ranks 22nd.
- In the A-Sun Lee is second in walks (24), fielding chances (256), putouts (241), third in on-base percentage (.471) and RBI, fourth in stolen bases (10), eighth in home runs (4) and 10th in runs scored (23).
- Adam Lee and Lee Solomon are tied for the team lead with nine multiple-RBI games this season. Solomon is also tops on the squad in multi-hit games with nine. Michael Gigliotti is second with eight and Adam Lee has seven.
- Michael Gigliotti enters Tuesday having reached base in 27-of-29 games this season. For his career Gigliotti has failed to reach base just five times (82-of-87). Earlier this season in the finale at Georgia he failed to find a way on, ending a 45-game on-base streak that dated back to 2015 where he reached in the final 32 games.
- Lipscomb is second in the A-Sun and 53rd in the nation in runs scored, with 198 coming around the bend. Its 6.8 runs per game are good enough for 60th.
- Von Watson is tied for fifth in the A-Sun with nine doubles. Michael Gigliotti, Adam Lee and Allan Hooker are just behind with seven each.
- Senior backstop Chucky Vazquez is tied for second in base runners thrown out, having gunned down nine. Jeffrey Crisan is sixth with seven.
- Lipscomb’s .389 on-base percentage is tops in the A-Sun and 49th in the nation.
- Jeffrey Passantino is second in the A-Sun with 46 strikeouts this season. He has struck out at least six batters in 6-of-7 appearances. He is also tied with Brady Puckett and Upstate's Zach Mitchell for the league lead with five wins, while his 2.44 ERA is second.
- Puckett's 47.2 innings thrown are tied for second most in the league while his 43 punch outs are fifth most.
- Adam Lee drew a career-high four walks in straight at-bats at Tennessee Tech. He is now third on the career charts with 71.
- With a 1-0 shutout against Western Michigan on February 28, Lipscomb skipper Jeff Forehand picked up win No. 250 in a Bison uniform.
The Bisons continue home action on Tuesday night hosting Belmont at Dugan Field at 6 p.m.
For more information on the baseball program, continue to check LipscombSports.com for daily updates or follow @BisonBaseball on twitter.