CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb baseball team will hit the road for its first tilt of a four-game road swing when it faces Austin Peay in midweek action Tuesday at 6 p.m. at Raymond C. Hand Park.
The Bisons (19-17, 3-3 A-Sun) salvaged their series against Jacksonville with a 9-1 victory on Sunday behind a complete-game performance from Brady Puckett, who earned his fourth career A-Sun weekly honor with the win.
Senior catcher Chucky Vazquez broke a 1-for-44 slump Friday with a 2-run home run in the sixth inning Friday. He then homered again Sunday and finished the day with a game-high three RBI.
Scouting Austin Peay:
The Governors (21-13, 12-6 OVC) enter the midweek contest having won 12 of their last 16 games after taking 2-of-3 from Belmont over the weekend at Rose Park.
Austin Peay is 13-4 at home and have won five of its six conference series’, only dropping its road series at Jacksonville State last month.
The Govs hold a .309 team batting average, which is 23rd in the nation. Its .495 slugging percentage is ninth nationally. Nine different batters are hitting over .300 and five have scored at least 25 runs this season.
They rank in the top 15 across the NCAA in doubles (82, 17th), doubles per game (2.41, 8th), home runs (39, 14th), home runs per game (1.15, 12th) and sacrifice flies (22, 10th).
APSU is led offensively by junior first baseman Dre Gleason, who is raking at a .368 clip. He is tops on the squad with 12 doubles, 42 RBI and 27 walks, but has also struck out a team-high 37 times.
Junior infielder Ridge Smith is the top power hitter on the roster, having belted nine homers.
The Governor pitching staff has combined for a 6.38 team ERA. They have allowed 238 runs in 299.0 innings pitched and are limiting opponents to a .293 batting clip.
Tuesday’s starter John Sparks will be making his third start of the season. He has given up 36 hits in 22.0 frames, while striking out 20 and walking 23.
Lipscomb: LHP – Alex Dorso (1-1, 3.44 ERA, 18.1 IP, 7 ER, 10 K, 10 BB)
Austin Peay: LHP – John Sparks (0-1, 8.59 ERA, 22.0 IP, 21 ER, 20 K, 23 BB)
Around the Horn:
- Austin Peay leads the all-time series with Lipscomb 20-9, including a 10-5 mark at home. The teams split a pair of meetings a season ago with the road teams leaving victorious.
- The Bisons needed a 6-run 11th frame to knock off the Govs in Clarksville last season 12-6. Former Bisons Grant Massey and Jonathan Allison each picked up 3-hit performances while Nick Andros tossed 4.0 innings to get the win, allowing just one hit and striking out five.
- Brady Puckett was named A-Sun Co-Pitcher of the Week Monday after throwing his second complete game of the season. He tied his season low with three hits allowed, while surrendering just one unearned run with three K.
- The Bisons have been deadly on the base paths for the second year in a row, swiping a league-high 70 bases, seventh best in the NCAA. They trail only Texas Southern (110), Seton Hall (104), Eastern Michigan (87), Farleigh Dickinson (82), Belmont (79) and Rutgers (74).
- Their 70 thefts are the fourth-most in a single season in school history, just 16 behind 2007’s 86 for third. The program leader is the 2010 squad who swiped 93.
- The Purple and Gold have drawn 182 walks as a team, tops in the A-Sun and 21st best in the NCAA, contributing to their .380 OBP.
- Lee Solomon has 22 stolen bases on the year, tops in the conference and tied for 11th most in the nation. Michael Gigliotti and Adam Lee have each stolen 13 bases this year, tied for second most in the league.
- Solomon is tied with Ben Williams (’07) for the fourth most in a single season in school history. Tyler Wilson swiped a program record 40 in 2010.
- Adam Lee is tied for the A-Sun lead after driving in 42 runs on the year. He is second in the league with 28 walks and third in on-base percentage, .467.
- Big innings have been a large part of the success for the team in 2016 so far. 10 times this season the Bisons have posted five or more runs in a frame. Lipscomb has also scored four or more tallies in an inning 17 times so far.
- Lee Solomon is tops in the A-Sun with 30 walks this season, the 31stmost in the nation. Adam Lee (28) and Michael Gigliotti (25) are second and fourth in the conference, respectively.
- Michael Gigliotti has scored 40 runs this season. That is tops in the A-Sun and 22ndin the country.
- Michael Gigliotti enters Tuesday having reached base in 33-of-36 games this season. For his career Gigliotti has failed to reach base just six times (88-of-94).
- Adam Lee drew a walk in his first at-bat Friday, bringing his yearly total to 75. He currently sits second on the school’s all-time walks list, just three behind Ryan Wilkins’ 78.
- Jeffrey Passantino is tops in the A-Sun with a 2.13 ERA. He is second in the conference with 63.1 innings of work and five victories. He has struck out 54 batters, the third most in the league.
- With a 1-0 shutout against Western Michigan on February 28, Lipscomb skipper Jeff Forehand picked up win No. 250 in a Bison uniform.
The Bisons will head back to the “Peach State” for their first A-Sun road series of the season to take on Kennesaw State this weekend in a three-game set. Friday’s opener is scheduled for a 5 p.m. first pitch.