|April 22, 2016||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: FRIESE (5-1)||8.0||3||1||1||3||8|
|Loss: GLENN (2-2)||1.2||7||5||5||1||2|
|April 23, 2016||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: MOORE (2-3)||8.1||6||0||0||1||8|
|Loss: PASSANTINO (5-3)||7.0||10||4||3||0||7|
|April 24, 2016||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10||11||12||13||R||H||E|
|Win: KEMP (2-1)||4.0||4||1||1||2||5|
|Loss: WARD (2-2)||2.2||3||2||2||0||3|
KENNESAW, Ga. - The Lipscomb baseball team is set to take its first road trip of the Atlantic Sun Conference season this weekend to face Kennesaw State in a three-game set at Fred Stillwell Stadium that gets underway on Friday at 5 p.m.
All three games are slated to air on A-SunTV with Saturday’s tilt scheduled for a 1 p.m. first pitch followed by a noon start on Sunday.
There will also be live stats available throughout the entire series on LipscombSports.com.
Scouting Kennesaw State:
The Owls enter the weekend 18-20 overall after winning nine of their last 12 games. The recent success has landed Kennesaw State on top of the A-Sun table at 8-1 in league play. After taking 2-of-3 from North Florida in their conference opening series, the Owls have since won six straight, leading to sweeps of NJIT and USC Upstate in the last two weekends.
However KSU is coming off a midweek loss to Jacksonville State on the road, 10-2.
In conference play, KSU leads the league in runs (60), hits (91) and home runs (seven), and is second in batting average (.297) and on-base percentage (.379).
Four players are batting over .300 for the Owls, led by sophomore catcher Griffin Helms’ .389 clip.
Sophomore infielder Austin Upshaw (.352) paces the club in almost every offensive statistic. He has 50 hits in 142 at-bats, while scoring 26 runs. He is also tops with six doubles, seven home runs, and 77 total bases.
Senior catcher Brennan Morgan is the team’s leading RBI man, having driven in 25 runs on the year.
KSU’s pitching staff sports a 5.51 combined ERA which is last in the A-Sun. They have allowed 261 runs in 340.0 innings pitched and are allowing opponents to bat .277.
Gabe Friese leads the weekend rotation with a 4-1 record. In 49.0 frames, he has punched out 42 and allowed 31 runs on 62 hits, leading to a 4.04 ERA.
AJ Moore (1-3, 6.02 ERA) and Chris Erwin (1-1, 6.44 ERA) are the other starters this weekend.
Lipscomb: LHP – Cody Glenn (2-1, 4.54 ERA, 39.2 IP, 20 ER, 28 K, 11 BB)
Kennesaw State: RHP - Gabe Friese (4-1, 4.04 ERA, 49.0, 22 ER, 42 K, 10 BB)
Lipscomb: RHP – Jeffrey Passantino (5-2, 2.13 ERA, 63.1 IP, 15 ER, 54 K, 9 BB)
Kennesaw State: RHP - AJ Moore (1-3, 6.02 ERA, 46.1 IP, 31 ER, 51 K, 24 BB)
Lipscomb: RHP – Brady Puckett (6-2, 2.97 ERA, 63.2 IP, 21 ER, 54 K, 11 BB)
Kennesaw State: LHP Chris Erwin (1-1, 6.44 ERA, 43.1 IP, 31 ER, 37 K, 22 BB)
Around the Horn:
- Lipscomb trails the all-time series with KSU 17-14 after the Owls took 2-of-3 from Dugan Field last season. However, the Bisons are 9-2 in the last 11 regular season meetings between the two schools.
- In 2014 when the Bisons last visited Stillwell Stadium, Lipscomb came away with a sweep (7-6, 7-5, 2-1).
- Lipscomb enters Friday still searching for its first road win of the season (0-12). That is the worst road start in the program’s NCAA era.
- The Bisons have been deadly on the base paths for the second year in a row, swiping a league-high 73 bases, eighth best in the NCAA. They should be able to run wide open this weekend once they get on base as Kennesaw State has allowed a league-high 56 thefts in 69 attempts. Their 13 runners caught stealing is second fewest.
- In the six conference games, the Bisons are batting .296 with 14 extra-base hits.
- Lipscomb has allowed just 18 earned runs through 56 innings of play, contributing to its A-Sun low 2.95 ERA.
- The Purple and Gold have drawn 188 walks as a team, tops in the A-Sun and 19th best in the NCAA.
- Lee Solomon has 22 stolen bases on the year, tops in the conference and tied for 13th most in the nation. Michael Gigliotti and Adam Lee have stolen 13 bases this year, tied for second most in the league.
- Solomon is tied with Ben Williams (’07) for the fourth most in a single season in school history. Tyler Wilson swiped a program record 40 in 2010.
- Solomon (.476) and Lee (.465) are second and third, respectively, in the A-Sun in on-base percentage. They are also the top base on balls duo in the league with 30 and 29 free passes.
- Lee is tied for the conference lead with 44 RBI on the year. That is good for 25th
- Lipscomb’s Brady Puckett nabbed his third A-Sun Pitcher of the Week award of the season Monday, the fourth of his career, after throwing a complete game without allowing an earned run in the series finale against Jacksonville last weekend. It was Lipscomb’s fourth pitching honor this season, that’s the most of any team in the league.
- Big innings have been a large part of the success for the team in 2016 so far. 10 times this season the Bisons have posted five or more runs in a frame. Lipscomb has also scored four or more tallies in an inning 18
- Michael Gigliotti has scored 42 runs this season. That is tops in the A-Sun and 20th in the country.
- Michael Gigliotti enters Friday having reached base in 34-of-37 games this season. For his career Gigliotti has failed to reach base just six times (89-of-95).
- Adam Lee drew a walk on Tuesday, bringing his career total to 76. He currently sits second on the school’s all-time walks list, just two behind Ryan Wilkins’ 78.
- Brady Puckett’s 143 career innings pitched rank seventh among active players in the A-Sun, while his four complete games are two more than anyone else.
- Puckett is the conference’s top work horse, having thrown 63.2 innings, while his six wins are also best in the league.
- Jeffrey Passantino is tops in the A-Sun with a 2.13 ERA. He is second in the conference with 63.1 innings of work and five victories. He has struck out 54 batters, the third most in the league.
- Passantino’s career 2.42 ERA is second on the A-Sun’s active career leader’s chart. His 118 punch outs are sixth.
- Gigliotti’s career .332 batting average and .421 on-base percentage stand third on the A-Sun active career leader’s standings. His 30 career thefts are second, behind FGCU’s Jake Noll (46).
- Brady Puckett With a 1-0 shutout against Western Michigan on February 28, Lipscomb skipper Jeff Forehand picked up win No. 250 in a Bison uniform.
Western Kentucky will venture south to the “Music City” for a Tuesday contest with the Bisons at Dugan Field on April 26. The tilt’s first pitch is set for 6 p.m.
For more information on the baseball program, continue to check LipscombSports.com for daily updates or follow @BisonBaseball on twitter.