NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb baseball team returns to the diamond Tuesday for a nonconference tilt with Western Kentucky at Ken Dugan Field at Stephen L. Marsh Stadium. The first pitch will be thrown at 6 p.m.
The Bisons will look to even the season series after dropping a 6-0 decision back on March 2nd in Bowling Green, Kentucky.
There will be live stats available, but no video broadcast.
The Bisons (20-20, 4-5 A-Sun) salvaged their series against Kennesaw State with an 11-9 victory in 13 innings on Sunday behind an 11-strikeout performance from Brady Puckett.
Scouting Western Kentucky:
The Hilltoppers enter the game 22-18 overall and 9-9 in Conference USA play. They are coming off a three-game sweep of University of Texas at San Antonio in Bowling Green, Kentucky.
WKU is led offensively by Danny Hudzina who is batting .433 with 71 hits in 164 at-bats. His is tops on the team with 14 doubles and second in runs scored (34), home runs (3) and triples (2).
There are four others who are batting over .300. Kaleb Duckworth (.358) has 12 doubles, 3 homers, a team-leading 31 RBI and 27 runs scored.
The Tops are batting .291 as a squad with a .378 on-base percentage.
WKU’s pitching staff sports a .486 ERA with 287 strikeouts and 191 earned runs in 354 innings pitched.
Tuesday’s starter, Cody Coll, is 2-2 with a 5.55 ERA in 35.2 frames of work. He has appeared in 11 games making eight starts while allowing opponents to bat .315.
Lipscomb – RHP- Adam Stewart: (3-1, 7.40 ERA, 24.1 IP, 20 ER, 20 K, 9 BB)
Western Ky. –RHP – Cody Coll: (2-2, 5.55 ERA, 35.2 IP, 22 ER, 27 K, 20 BB)
Around the Horn:
- Sunday’s win gave Lipscomb its first road triumph of the season (1-14).
- The Bisons have been deadly on the base paths for the second year in a row, swiping a league-high 76 bases, eighth best in the NCAA.
- Their 76 thefts are the fourth-most in a single season in school history, just 10 behind 2007’s 86 for third. The program leader is the 2010 squad who swiped 93.
- The Purple and Gold have drawn 197 walks as a team, tops in the A-Sun and 23rd best in the NCAA, contributing to their .374 OBP.
- Lee Solomon has 22 stolen bases on the year, tops in the conference and tied for 15th most in the nation. Adam Lee swiped two bags Sunday to give him 15 on the season and put him second in the A-Sun. Michael Gigliotti has stolen 13 bases this year, the fourth most in the league.
- Adam Lee drew two walks Sunday to give him 78 for his career and tied Ryan Wilkins for the most all-time in program history.
- Adam Lee also leads the A-Sun lead after driving in 45 runs on the year.
- Michael Gigliotti has scored 42 runs this season. That is tops in the A-Sun and 40th in the country.
Lipscomb stays in the Music City to host NJIT in the first-ever meeting between the two programs. Friday’s opener will get under way at 6 p.m., while Saturday’s game will also begin at 6 p.m. due to the exam period for the student athletes. The finale will be thrown at noon Sunday.