NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb baseball team returns to the diamond Tuesday for a nonconference tilt with Tennessee Tech at Ken Dugan Field at Stephen L. Marsh Stadium. The first pitch will be thrown at 6 p.m.
The Bisons will look to even the season series after dropping a 14-11decision back on March 8th in Cookeville. Lipscomb came from behind to take a 10-8 lead in the eighth frame, but allowed TTU to hang a 6-spot in the bottom half to take control and eventually get the victory.
There will be live stats available, but no video broadcast.
The Bisons (24-23, 8-7 A-Sun) are coming off a series loss at North Florida where they took the opener, 6-1, behind a complete game performance from Brady Puckett that earned him A-Sun Pitcher of the Week honors on Monday. The final two games, Lipscomb held a lead in both, but were unable to stave off the league’s top offense in late rallies.
Scouting Tennessee Tech:
The Golden Eagles enter the game 25-20 overall and 12-12 in Ohio Valley Conference play. They are coming off a series win at home against Southeast Missouri, the top team in the OVC.
As a team Tennessee Tech rakes .307 – the 23rd best mark in the nation, while also providing the power. It boasts the 11th best home run total in the NCAA with 55 bombs. Their 8.2 runs per game is sixth best in Division I.
TTU is led offensively by freshman Kevin Strohschein who is batting .407 with 77 hits in 189 at-bats. He paces the team in nearly every offensive category, including runs (47), doubles (17), triples (3), home runs (12), RBI (63) and slugging percentage (.720). His .450 on-base percentage is second best.
The pitching staff sports a 5.45 ERA with 383 strikeouts, 194 walks and 239 earned runs in 394.1 innings pitched.
Tuesday’s probable starter, Ty King, is 2-0 with a 5.87 ERA in 15.1 frames of work. He has appeared in six games making four starts.
Lipscomb – RHP- Adam Stewart: (3-2, 8.42 ERA, 31.0 IP, 29 ER, 25 K, 14 BB)
Tennessee Tech –RHP – Ty King: (2-0, 5.87 ERA, 15.1 IP, 10 ER, 21 K, 10 BB)
*Starters are subject to change
Around the Horn:
- The Bisons are 22-7 at home this season and 2-16 on the road.
- The Bisons have been deadly on the base paths for the second year in a row, swiping a league-high 82 bases, 12th best in the NCAA.
- Lipscomb has drawn 233 walks as a team, tops in the A-Sun and 18th most in the NCAA, contributing to its .390 OBP.
- Adam Lee, the school’s all-time walks leader, ranks 29th nationally and first in the league with 38 free passes this season. Lee Solomon is second in the ASUN with 34.
- Solomon has 22 stolen bases on the year, tops in the conference and tied for 32nd most in the nation. Adam Lee is third in the league with 17.
- Adam Lee also leads the A-Sun having driven in 52 runs on the year.
- Solomon (46), Adam Lee (43) and Michael Gigliotti (42) represent three of the top four run scorers in the league.
- Puckett was named A-Sun Pitcher of the Week Monday for the fourth time this season and the fifth time for his career.
- Solomon and Tevin Symonette are tied for the team lead with 15 multiple-hit games this season. Adam Lee is tops with 13 multiple-RBI tilts.
- Zeke Dodson and Symonette each boast a team best 9-game hit streak entering Tuesday.
- Chucky Vazquez has reached base in 11 straight games.
Lipscomb stays home to host Florida Gulf Coast in its final home conference series of the season at Dugan Field with Friday’s opener set to get under way at 6 p.m. The weekend will be filled with festivities, including the annual “Dugan Award” presentation before Friday’s tilt and a senior day ceremony before the game on Saturday.