DELAND, Fla. – The Lipscomb baseball team closed out its best weekend performance of the season Saturday with a 6-1 victory to complete the series sweep of the Stetson Hatters at Melching Field.
The win improved Lipscomb to 30-25 and 12-9 in Atlantic Sun play. Stetson fell to 25-29 and 9-12 in the ASUN.
It didn’t take long for the Bisons to get on the scoreboard as they used a Stetson miscue to keep the inning alive. Tevin Symonette took advantage as he doubled down the left field line with men on the corners to plate Michael Gigliotti and give Lipscomb a 1-0 lead.
In the top of the third Gigliotti scored his second run of the day when Lee Solomon doubled him home after reaching on a bunt single.
Two innings later, Solomon punched a ball off the wall in left center field for a standup triple, his third of the year. Adam Lee then knocked him in with a single up the middle to extend the lead to 3-0.
In the ninth inning Lee lifted a sacrifice fly to plate Gigliotti for his 62nd RBI of the season, breaking Caleb Joseph’s single-season mark set back in 2007.
Gigliotti got things going once again in the top of the seventh with a one-out single to center. Solomon then put a dagger on the contest with a monster 2-run home run to left field to push the lead to 5-0.
Kyle Kemp was spectacular from the get go, needing just nine pitches to get through the first innings. The freshman righty tossed a career best six frames. He allowed only two hits and did not surrender a run. He struck out two while improving to 3-2 on the year.
Freshman Alex Dorso made his weekend debut in front of his friends and family Saturday. The Orlando, Florida native and nearby Olympia High School alum, tossed the final three frames to pick up his first career save.
The lefty allowed one run on two hits and recorded two punch outs. He did get former OHS teammate Kyle Sidwell to fly out on his first pitch of the contest.
Stetson’s Ben Onyshko took the loss after tossing just 2.1 innings. He falls to 2-1 after allowing two runs on three hits.
Around the Horn:
- The sweep was the third of the season for Lipscomb. (Alabama A&M and Mississippi Valley State).
- Solomon finished the contest just a single shy of the cycle. He was 3-for-5 with 3 RBI and 3 extra-base hits.
- Gigliotti scored a career high four runs.
- The Bisons recorded 10 hits, marking the 15th game in their last 16 played that they have recorded double-digit hits.
- Solomon picked up his team-leading 21st game with multiple-hits in the win.
- The sweep was the first for Lipscomb over Stetson since 2009. The wins marked the first victories over the Hatters at home since 2008.
- Gigliotti recorded his eighth career triple in the win to set the program's NCAA era career mark. He had two three-baggers this weekend.
The Bisons concluded the regular season on Saturday, so now they must turn their attention to the ASUN Championship next week in Nashville. Lipscomb, as the No. 4 seed, will open the tournament at 7 p.m. Wednesday May 25 against the No. 3 seed Jacksonville.