|February 17, 2017||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: PUCKETT (1-0)||6.2||5||3||3||0||8|
|Loss: LEE (0-1)||6.0||5||4||3||1||8|
|February 18, 2017||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: DORSO (1-0)||1.1||0||0||0||1||0|
|Loss: PALM (0-1)||6.0||6||3||3||5||5|
|February 19, 2017||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: PARR (1-0)||5.1||5||4||4||3||7|
|Loss: STEWART (0-1)||1.1||3||6||5||3||1|
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The highly anticipated season for the Lipscomb baseball team officially gets under way this weekend when the Bisons play host to the Oakland Grizzlies for a three-game series at Ken Dugan Field at Stephen L. Marsh Stadium. Friday’s opener is set for a 4 p.m. first pitch.
It is the eighth consecutive season that Lipscomb has opened its season at home. In that span the Bisons are 3-4 on opening days.
Head coach Jeff Forehand enters his 11th year as skipper for the Bisons where he is a combined 276-303 overall and 137-135 in the ASUN Conference.
Lipscomb is on a streak of four straight season with 30 or more wins.
Friday – February 17 at 4 p.m.
Saturday – February 18 at 2 p.m.
Sunday – February 19 at 1 p.m.
Although there will be no video broadcast any day, live stats will be available for all three games.
Projected Weekend Rotation (2016 Stats):
- Friday – RHP Brady Puckett (9-2, 2.93 ERA) vs. RHP Jake Lee (5-5, 5.31 ERA)
- Saturday - RHP Jeffrey Passantino (6-5, 3.40 ERA) vs. RHP Tyler Palm (4-5, 4.29 ERA)
- Sunday – RHP Adam Stewart (4-2, 7.01 ERA ERA) vs. RHP Nick Parr (0-1, 3.57 ERA)
Overall: Lipscomb leads 4-0
- In Nashville: Lipscomb leads, 4-0
- All four games were played March 7-9, 2014.
- The Bisons won by scores of (13-6), (8-7), (7-2) and (7-2).
- The Golden Grizzlies are looking to bounce back from a 23-27 campaign in 2016 that saw them finish fifth in the Horizon League.
- Earlier this week Oakland was picked to finish sixth in the HL preseason poll.
- Oakland will begin 2017 under a new regime of co-head coaches Colin Kaline and Jacke Healey, who took over in July 2016, becoming the first co-head coaches in Division I.
- To open the season Oakland will play its first 22 games on the road, and will not have a home game until hosting Wright State on March 31 in the second weekend of conference play.
- The Golden Grizzlies return a bevy of upperclassmen, including second team All-Conference third baseman Ben Hart. The junior finished second on the team with a .323 batting average in league play and a team-high five stolen bases.
- Senior infielder Zach Sterry, along with Hart, is the only returner who batted above .300 in 2016 (.301). He hit four homers, drove in 27 runs and collected a team-high 15 doubles.
- Weekend starters Palm and Lee are the only returning hurlers who started over four games last season. The duo combined to go 9-10 with a 4.79 ERA. They struck out 74 and walked 36.
The 2017 Bisons…
- For the first time in program history Lipscomb opens the season as the ASUN favorites, voted on by the league’s coaches, earning 6-of-8 first place votes.
- The Bisons’ roster boasts 10 newcomers which include five true freshmen and five JUCO transfers.
- A roster that only lost two positional players and three starting pitchers from 2016, Lipscomb returns 17 letter winners with six seniors.
- Senior Denton Norman returns to action after missing all of last season with an injury.
- The Bisons return 6-of-8 every day positional starters, only losing Adam Lee at first base and Chucky Vazquez behind the plate.
- Brady Puckett, Michael Gigliotti and Lee Solomon each landed a spot on the preseason All-Conference team.
- Gigliotti was chosen the preseason ASUN Player and Defensive Player of the Year, while the coaches tabbed Puckett the preseason Pitcher of the Year.
- Gigliotti slashed .368/.455/.544 in ASUN play, on the way to a league-high five triples. He has led the nation in bunt singles in each of his two seasons in Nashville.
- Solomon returns after batting .370, the second highest in the ASUN last season and fourth all time in Bisons history. He also drove in 50 runs while batting a team-high .421 in league play.
- Zeke Dodson returns after an All-Freshman campaign that included a .314 batting clip, 44 RBI and 33 walks in 51 starts.
- Jeffrey Passantino finished second on the team with a 3.40 ERA a season ago while punching out 82 batters in 98 innings of work. He gave Lipscomb 11 quality starts in 15 outings with two complete games, the second most in the conference. His six wins were also second most in the league, behind only Puckett.
- Tevin Symonette returns after leading the team in 2016 with a .500 slugging percentage and eight home runs. He batted .304 and drove in 37.
- Allan Hooker is the leading double man returning for the Bisons, collecting 14 two-baggers in 2016. He also drove in 28 runs, drew 27 walks and swiped 13 bases.
Bisons On The National Level…
The Golden Spikes Award
- Michael Gigliotti was named to the 55-man Preseason Watch List earlier this week. He is the only ASUN player on the list.
- Preseason All-American: Michael Gigliotti (First Team)
- Top 100 College Draft Prospects: Michael Gigliotti (No. 14) and Brady Puckett (No. 95).
- 2017 Top 10 ASUN Prospects: Michael Gigliotti (No. 1), Brady Puckett (No. 3), Lee Solomon (No. 6) and Jeffrey Passantino (No. 9).
- 2017 Preseason ASUN Player of the Year: Michael Gigliotti
- Preseason All-American: Michael Gigliotti (Second Team)
- Top 200 Starting Pitchers: Brady Puckett (No. 31)
- Top 50 Second Basemen: Lee Solomon(No. 11)
- Top 150 Outfielders: Michael Gigliotti (No. 7) and Tevin Symonette(No. 102)
- Top Draft Prospects: Michael Gigliotti (No. 13)
- Preseason All-American: Brady Puckett (Second Team)
- Preseason All-American: Michael Gigliotti (Second Team)
- Top Draft Prospects: Michael Gigliotti (No. 23)
2016 Season Recap
- Lipscomb finished its 2016 season 31-27 overall and 13-8 in the ASUN.
- The Bisons earned the No. 4 seed in the ASUN Tournament. After downing No. 3 Jacksonville 10-8 in the opening game of the tournament, the Bisons fell to No. 2 UNF 1-0 in a 10-inning thriller before ending the season with an 8-6 defeat to No. 5 FGCU.
- Brady Puckett took home ASUN Pitcher of the Year honor for the first time in program history. He led the league in wins (9), starts (15), complete games (3), innings pitched (107.2) and strikeouts (101). He also garnered a Louisville Slugger Second Team All-American nod.
- The Bisons slugged the second highest total in the ASUN with a .417 mark, while trailing only UNF in on-base percentage (.386).
- A mixed approach led to league-highs in walks (275) and strikeouts (480).
- Lipscomb set a program record with 98 stolen bases, the 17th best total in the NCAA.
- Six of the team’s returning batters registered 15 or more extra base hits in 2016.
- Eight different pitchers registered more than eight strikeouts per nine innings.
- Puckett and Jeffrey Passantino’s strikeout to walk ratio averaged 7.27 in conference play, better than any other pair of weekend throwers returning in 2017.
- The Bisons defense registered the second highest putout total (576) and fielding percentage (.973) in the ASUN.
- Lee Solomon stole a career high 25 bases as a sophomore, the second highest single-season output in program history.
- Solomon, along with Adam Lee (21) and Gigliotti (15) finished as three of the top four base stealers in the league.
- Third baseman Zeke Dodson was named a NCBWA Freshman All-American.
- Adam Lee broke Caleb Joseph’s single-season RBI total with 64 ribbies.
Next up for the Bisons is a midweek matchup at Dugan Field with Middle Tennessee on Tuesday, Feb. 21 at 4 p.m., before hosting the Mule Mix Classic next weekend.