NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Lipscomb baseball team returns to action Tuesday when it plays host to Middle Tennessee at 4 p.m. on Ken Dugan Field at Stephen L. Marsh Stadium.
The midweek tilt will be the 32nd meeting between the two programs in Lipscomb’s NCAA era. Middle Tennessee holds the slight advantage 16-15 over the Bisons in that span. In 2016, the teams split their two games with each team winning at home.
Lipscomb (2-1) is coming off a season-opening weekend where it took the first two games against Oakland before dropping the finale on Sunday, 16-11.
Junior hurler Dayton Tripp will make his Lipscomb debut as the Bisons starting pitcher. The righty transferred from Rend Lake College where he posted a 10-1 mark with a 3.04 ERA as a sophomore in 2016.
He will square off with redshirt freshman Devin Conn of Middle. The two-way player picked up the victory for the Blue Raiders in their win over Georgia Southern Friday after tossing 3.2 scoreless innings in relief.
At the plate Conn is batting .333 with two hits in six at-bats and a run scored.
Lipscomb – Dayton Tripp – RHP – (10-1, 3.04 ERA at Rend Lake College in 2016)
Middle Tennessee – Devin Conn – RHP (1-0, 0.00 ERA)
Around the Horn:
- Sophomore first baseman Cade Sorrells had a big weekend at the plate and enters the matchup leading the ASUN Conference in batting at .545. He also drove in four, scored four times and stole two bases. He capped the weekend with a 3-run homer Sunday.
- Sophomore outfielder and designated hitter Von Watson is second on the team with a .429 batting clip after recording three hits against Oakland. Three of his four RBI on the weekend came on a 3-run triple off the left center wall in the finale Sunday.
- Preseason All-ASUN selections Michael Gigliotti and Lee Solomon got off to a slow start against the Golden Grizzlies, batting .111 and .100, respectively. The duo did combine to swipe five bases.
- 11th year skipper Jeff Forehand is 11 wins shy of his 500th career victory as a college head coach.
- Redshirt senior Denton Norman returned to the mound after missing all of last season with an injury. In 2.0 frames, he allowed one hit, struck out two and picked up his first career save.
Lipscomb will play host, along with Belmont and Middle Tennessee, to the 2017 Mule Mix Classic. The trio of teams will welcome Bowling Green, Missouri State and Northwestern to the Music City.
The Bisons will face off with Bowling Green at 4 p.m. Friday, Feb. 24 at Dugan Field, before hosting Missouri State at 2 p.m. Saturday and Northwestern at 1 p.m. Sunday.
Bison fans keep an eye on the weather as it may play a role in potentially moving the game to Wednesday. Continue checking for updates on all media platforms.