|February 24, 2017||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: PUCKETT (2-0)||9.0||1||0||0||1||7|
|Loss: ANDERSON (0-2)||5.2||5||2||2||4||3|
|February 25, 2017||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10||11||R||H||E|
|Win: Turner (2-0)||4.0||1||1||1||0||8|
|Loss: KEMP (0-1)||1.0||3||2||2||0||3|
|February 26, 2017||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: STEWART (1-1)||5.2||5||2||2||4||1|
|Loss: Bordignon (0-1)||1.2||4||6||5||4||2|
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Off to a 3-1 start, the Lipscomb baseball team continues home action this weekend hosting the 2017 “Mule Mix Classic” as Bowling Green, Missouri State and Northwestern come to the Music City.
The weekend slate kicks off at 4 p.m. Friday as Lipscomb (3-1) and Bowling Green get the round-robin tournament underway at Ken Dugan Field at Stephen L. Marsh Stadium. The Falcons and Bisons will be meeting for the first time ever when they lace it up in the weekend opener.
That contest will feature a matchup of Brady Puckett, the ASUN’s reigning Pitcher of the Year, against junior right-hander Tyler Anderson.
Saturday will see the Purple and Gold hit the field at 2 p.m. to take on Missouri State. Bisons junior righty Jeffrey Passantino will look to pick up his first win of 2017 after getting a no decision in last weekend’s win over Oakland where he pitched 5.0 innings and only gave up one earned run with six strikeouts.
Lipscomb will then wrap up the weekend with a 1 p.m. start time against Northwestern on Sunday. Sophomore Adam Stewart will make his second consecutive Sunday start on the bump. He will face off with junior Tommy Bordignon, who will be making his first start of the season.
Live stats will be available for all three games. There will also be a live video stream available via Facebook Live via the Lipscomb Baseball page.
Scouting Bowling Green:
Bowling Green enters the weekend 0-3 after dropping all three games to No. 20 Texas A&M in College Station. The Falcons were outscored 50-8.
As a team Bowling Green is batting .204 and sports a 14.25 staff ERA. In 2016 the Falcons posted a 17-37 mark, including a 7-21 record on the road.
Their offense is led by junior infielder Randy Righter’s .625 clip. Three other Falcons are batting over .300.
Scouting Missouri State:
Lipscomb and Missouri State will also be meeting for the first time in program history. The Bears are off to a fast 3-1 start, after finishing 2016 with a 38-21 record.
The Bears are batting .257 at the dish and the pitching staff carries a 1.54 ERA. Jeremy Eierman is pacing the Missouri State lineup with eight hits, two long balls, and a .941 slugging percentage.
Preseason All-American Jake Burger is 5-for-15 at the plate, with one homer, four RBI and five runs scored. He is batting .333, third best on the squad.
The Bears bullpen has been lights out through the first four games. The relievers have combined to allow just one earned run with 14 strike outs and a .178 batting mark in 13.2 innings of work. In all, seven different arms have combined to not allow a single run after the fifth inning of any game this season.
Lipscomb and Northwestern have met only once in program history when the Wildcats visited Nashville in 2013 for the Mule Mix Classic. Northwestern downed Lipscomb 11-4.
The Wildcats are coming off a tough 2016 campaign, finishing 15-39 overall and 7-17 in Big Ten play. The Wildcats have not posted a winning season since 1999.
Northwestern opened up the season on the road against a tough Arizona State squad in Tempe. The Sun Devils took all three games by a combined score of 13-6.
NU is returning eight of their nine starters in the lineup from a year ago and nine of their 13 pitchers. Thus far this season the Wildcats’ pitching staff has been the anchor, combining for a 2.45 ERA.
Joe Hoschiet leads the team with three hits.
Lipscomb – Brady Puckett – RHP (1-0, 4.05 ERA, 6.2 IP, 3 ER, 8 K, 0 BB)
Bowling Green – Tyler Anderson – RHP (0-1, 4.91 ERA, 3.2 IP, 2 ER, 1 K, 2 BB)
Lipscomb – Jeffrey Passantino – RHP (0-0, 1.80 ERA, 5.0 IP, 1 ER, 6 K, 1 BB)
Missouri State – TBD
Lipscomb – Adam Stewart – RHP (0-1, 33.75 ERA, 1.1 IP, 5 ER, 1 K, 3 BB)
Northwestern – Tommy Bordignon – LHP (2-4, 4.84 ERA, 48.1 IP, 26 ER, 34 K, 32 BB in 2016)
Around the Horn:
- Lipscomb has been tough at home dating back to the 2015 season, putting up a 50-21 record (.704) inside the friendly confines of Dugan Field.
- The Bisons went 3-0 in last year’s Mule Mix Classic, taking victories against Miami (OH), Army West Point and Western Michigan.
- The weekend will feature first ever meetings for the Bisons with Bowling Green and Missouri State.
- Six Bisons made their Lipscomb debut on opening week: five juniors and one freshman.
- Lipscomb leads the ASUN Conference in triples (2), walks (25) and stolen bases (9).
- The Bisons’ nine stolen bases are the ninth most in the NCAA and their 3.00 steals per game is good enough for third nationally.
- Second baseman Lee Solomon enters the weekend riding a 23-game on-base streak, carrying over from last season.
- First baseman Cade Sorrells is batting .462 after four games. That ranks him fifth in the ASUN.
- Center fielder Michael Gigliotti is tied atop the league’s stolen bases standings with three swipes. His 35 career steals are sixth most all-time in the program’s NCAA era.
- Dayton Tripp’s nine strikeouts are tied for fourth most in the league, while Brady Puckett’s eight are tied for eighth.
- Solomon, Gigliotti, Sorrells and Alan Hooker have reached base in all four games this season.
- Senior Denton Norman leads the team with four pitching appearances on the year, all out of the pen.
- Head Coach Jeff Forehand is sitting just 10 wins shy of his 500th career victory as a collegiate head coach.
Lipscomb will play its first road contest of 2017 when it makes the trek up I-65 to play Western Kentucky on Tuesday. First pitch is slated for 3 p.m. in Bowling Green, Kentucky.