NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Fresh off two wins in the Mule Mix Classic over the weekend, the Lipscomb baseball team travels to Western Kentucky for its first road game of the season Tuesday in midweek action. First pitch is set for 3 p.m.
The two teams have met 21 times in the NCAA era with the Hilltoppers holding a 13-8 advantage in the all-time series. The Bisons were swept last season and have lost three straight in Bowling Green. Lipscomb’s last road win in the series came on a 5-4 victory in 10 innings in 2013.
Dayton Tripp will get his second consecutive midweek nod on the mound. In his Lipscomb debut Tripp struck out nine over seven innings of work in a 3-2 win over Middle Tennessee at home last Tuesday.
The Hilltoppers enters the contest 3-4 on the year after dropping 2-of-3 at home to Jacksonville State last weekend.
Offensively WKU has recorded 26 extra-base hits compared to just 15 for its opponents. Steven Kraft leads the team with five two-baggers.
Kevin Lambert leads the squad with a .440 on-base percentage and is the only Topper to reach base in all seven games this season.
The Hilltoppers pitching staff carries a 4.65 ERA and are allowing foes to bat .304.
Lipscomb – Dayton Tripp – RHP – (1-0, 2.57 ERA, 2 ER, 9 K, 1 BB)
Western Kentucky – Caleb Bruner – RHP (First start of season)
Around the Horn:
- Junior hurler Brady Puckett picked up his sixth career ASUN Pitcher of the Week honor Monday. He is tied with former FGCU star Chris Sale for the most all-time in the conference.
- Michael Gigliotti is atop the league with eight walks on the year, leading to a .406 OBP.
- Cade Sorrells lead the Bisons with a .333 batting average. Zeke Dodson is just behind at .320, they are the only Bison batting over .300.
- Jake Perry and Von Watson are tied for the team lead with six RBI.
- Lee Solomon paces the team with six runs scored.
- 11th year skipper Jeff Forehand is eight wins shy of his 500th career victory as a college head coach.
Lipscomb will continue its 4-game road swing with three games on the Plains of Auburn University. Friday’s match is a 2 p.m. start time while Saturday and Sunday will each have a noon first pitch.