|March 03, 2017||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: Thompson (3-0)||7.0||1||0||0||2||5|
|Loss: PUCKETT (2-1)||4.1||12||7||7||3||1|
|March 04, 2017||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: Lipscomb (2-0)||3.0||3||2||2||2||4|
|Loss: NORMAN (0-1)||0.2||2||1||1||0||1|
|March 05, 2017||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10||R||H||E|
|Win: KEMP (1-1)||3.0||1||0||0||3||1|
|Loss: Sprinkle (0-3)||0.2||0||1||1||4||1|
AUBURN, Ala. – The Lipscomb baseball team travels to SEC country this weekend to take on the Tigers of Auburn in a three-game series at Plainsman Park. Friday’s tilt is set to get underway at 2 p.m.
Both Saturday and Sunday will have a Noon start time.
Lipscomb (6-2) is coming off a 10-4 win over Western Kentucky in Bowling Green for its first win at Nick Denes field in three seasons.
Auburn enters the weekend 7-2, its best start since opening the 2007 with an 11-1 mark.
Live stats will be available for all three games, while both Friday and Sunday will be broadcast on SEC Network+.
The Tigers have one of the best weekend rotations in the country as Keegan Thompson, Casey Mize and Davis Daniel own a combined 1.12 ERA with 34 strikeouts to only three walks.
Through the first two weekends Auburn has pitched shutouts on both Friday and Saturday tilts. They lead the nation with four shutouts after posting only four all of 2016.
Offensively the Tigers are batting .306 at the plate, led by Daniel Robert’s .429 clip. Robert has reached base safely in 24 straight contests entering the weekend series.
Jonah Todd (.364) has recorded a hit in all nine games for Auburn, including a RBI in five consecutive outings.
The Tigers swept Holy Cross last weekend for its first sweep since 2015.
Lipscomb – RHP – Brady Puckett (2-0, 1.72 ERA, 15.2 IP, 3 ER, 15 K, 1 BB)
Auburn – RHP – Keegan Thompson (2-0, 0.00 ERA, 14.0 IP, 0 ER, 6 K, 2 BB)
Lipscomb – RHP – Jeffrey Passantino (0-0, 4.35 ERA, 10.1 IP, 5 ER, 15 K, 3 BB)
Auburn – RHP – Casey Mize (2-0, 0.00 ERA, 10.0 IP, 0 ER, 19 K, 1 BB)
Lipscomb – RHP – Adam Stewart (1-1, 9.00 ERA, 7.0 IP, 7 ER, 2 K, 7 BB)
Auburn – RHP – Davis Daniel (0-0, 4.15 ERA, 8.2 IP, 4 ER, 9 K, 3 BB)
Around the Horn:
- Lipscomb is off to its second straight 6-2 start and is 16-6 in February since the start of the 2015 season.
- Lipscomb and Auburn have met just twice on the diamond in the all-time series history, with the two teams splitting 1-1.
- In 2007 the Bisons visited the Plains and downed the Tigers 4-3 before making a return trip in 2009 and falling 17-4.
- With a victory on Friday, Brady Puckett will move into a tie with Brandon McClurg (06-09) for the most career wins in the Bisons NCAA era at 19.
- With Tuesday’s win at Western Kentucky, Lipscomb garnered its first road victory of the season. In 2016 the Bisons didn’t win their first road contest until April 24 -- the 15th road tilt of the year.
- Junior hurler Brady Puckett was named the ASUN Conference Pitcher of the Week after tossing a 1-hit, complete-game shutout (2-0) with 7 Ks against Bowling Green last Friday. He is now tied with Boston Red Sox southpaw and former FGCU Eagle Chris Sale for the most all-time in the conference with six.
- Lipscomb has produced 20 come-from-behind wins since the 2014 season.
- Since the beginning of the 2015 season the Bisons are a combined 52-22 at home and 20-24 on the road.
- Junior center fielder Michael Gigliotti is one of two Bisons to have reached base in all eight games this season. For his career Gigs has only failed to reach base in 9-of-115 career games -- that’s only 7% of all games.
- The Bisons lead the ASUN in walks and strikeouts. Lipscomb has 47 walks and 75 punch outs. The walks total is 25th best in the nation.
- Gigliotti is the ASUN’s walk leader 15th in the nation with 9 free passes.
- Gigliotti currently with eight triples is tied for the most all-time by a Bison. He also sits sixth all-time with 35 stolen bases, seventh with 114 runs scored and 9th with 65 walks.
- Sophomore Cade Sorrells has been on a tear in 2017, getting on base in all eight of Lipscomb's contests. The first baseman has a team-low four strikeouts among regular starters and is second among ASUN sophomores with a .500 OBP.
- The Bisons' 11 swiped bags are tops in the conference, and are more successful on the base paths than any other ASUN squad, stealing at a clip of 73.33 percent.
- Lipscomb leads the conference with three triples, to tie for 34th in the country.
- Puckett & Jeffrey Passantino are tied for third among ASUN juniors with 15 Ks, while Passantino has averaged the fourth best K/9 rate in the conference at 13.06.
- Lee Solomon has turned more double plays than any other middle infielder in the conference at a total of seven.
Lipscomb returns home for a midweek tilt with in-stat foe Tennessee Tech next Tuesday. First pitch is 4 p.m. The Bisons then host Michigan for a three-game series next weekend at Dugan Field.