NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Lipscomb baseball team returns to the diamond Tuesday for a nonconference tilt with Tennessee Tech at Ken Dugan Field at Stephen L. Marsh Stadium. The first pitch will be thrown at 4 p.m.
The Bisons are back at home after wrapping up a four-game road swing that saw them go 2-2 with wins over Western Kentucky and Auburn.
Junior hurler Dayton Tripp will look to remain unbeaten on the season after picking up victories in each of his first two career starts as a Bison. The right-hander out of Goreville, Illinois native is second on the team amongst the starters with a 2.84 ERA.
The game will be streamed using Facebook Live via the Lipscomb baseball’s Facebook page. Live stats will also be available.
Overall: TTU leads 14-9 in NCAA era
In Nashville: Lipscomb leads 7-5
In Cookeville: TTU leads 9-2
In Neutral Sites: No meetings
First Meeting: 3/17/04 | TTU 9, LU 8 | Cookeville, Tennessee
Last Meeting: 5/10/16 | LU 12, TTU 8 | Nashville, Tennessee
Scouting Tennessee Tech:
The Golden Eagles enter the game 8-4 overall after dropping 2-of-3 over the weekend on the road at Bethune-Cookman. TTU took the opening game of the series 5-0, before falling 5-4 and 3-1 in the last two tilts.
Tech continues to boast one of the top offenses in the country year in and year out. Batting a combined .291 at the dish, the Golden Eagles rank seventh in the NCAA with 18 home runs, 29th with 126 base hits and 30th having scored 90 runs. They also stand 23rd in Division I with 20 stolen bases.
Junior outfielder Collin Harris leads the team with a .378 average after collecting 17 hits in 45 at-bats. He is one of five players batting over .300. His six home runs are the fourth most in the country.
Six different players already have multiple RBI, led by junior Chase Chambers’ 13.
The pitching staff sports a 4.00 ERA with 102 strikeouts, 43 walks and 48 earned runs allowed in 108 innings. The staff has tossed three shutouts, the sixth most in the nation.
Lipscomb – RHP- Dayton Tripp: (2-0, 2.84 ERA, 12.2 IP, 4 ER, 10 K, 5 BB)
Tennessee Tech – TBD
*Starters are subject to change
Around the Horn:
- The Bisons have won the last three meetings, and four of the last five, with Tennessee Tech at Dugan Field.
- Lipscomb has drawn 63 walks on the year, tops in the ASUN and 21st most in the NCAA.
- Just 11 games into the season Gigliotti already has 14 free passes, which leads the ASUN and ranks fourth in the country. He had just 31 in 2016 and 25 as a freshman.
- The Purple and Gold have been deadly on the base paths for a third straight season, leading the ASUN with 14 stolen bases. Lee Solomon, the league’s reigning leader in swiped bags, paces Lipscomb with four, followed by Gigliotti and Sorrells who each have three.
- Third baseman Zeke Dodson is riding a team high three-game hitting streak after picking up hits in all three games against the Tigers. He also leads the team with four multi-hit games.
- First baseman Cade Sorrells leads the team and is tied for seventh in the conference with 12 RBI. He has recorded four multi-RBI games this season, including a 3-RBI performance Sunday without collecting a base hit.
- Defensively the Bisons have turned a conference-best 11 double plays – the 35th most in the NCAA. Individually Solomon (11) and Sorrells (10) are one and two in the ASUN in pitcher’s best friends. The next most is seven.
- Gigliotti and Sorrells are the only Bisons to have reached in all 11 games this season.
- Senior righty Denton Norman leads the team with seven appearances on the mound. That is good for 14th in the nation.
- The Bisons have struck out a conference high 108 times at the plate.
Lipscomb continues home action this weekend, hosting the University of Michigan out of the Big Ten for three games. Friday’s opener is set for 4 p.m., followed by a 2 p.m. start time Saturday and a 1 p.m. first pitch Sunday.