NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb baseball team is set for a quick trip up Granny White Pike on Tuesday for a nonconference tilt against crosstown rival Belmont at 4 p.m. at E.S. Rose Park.
Following the short trek to Bruin country, the Bisons return home on Wednesday to take on UT Martin at 2 p.m. That game was originally set for a 4 p.m. start time, but was moved up earlier in the afternoon to play in warmer weather.
Tuesday’s tilt at Belmont will be broadcasted on OVC Digital Network, while Wednesday’s affair will be show via Facebook Live on the Lipscomb baseball page. Live Stats will be available for both.
Lipscomb – Dayton Tripp - (2-0, 5.00 ERA, 18.0 IP, 10 ER, 12 K, 8 BB)
Belmont – Casey Queener - (0-0, 4.82 ERA, 9.1 IP, 5 ER, 11 K, 6 BB)
Lipscomb – Alex Dorso – (1-0, 3.52 ERA, 7.2 IP, 3 ER, 5 K, 5 BB)
UT Martin – TBA
The Bruins head into the contest 7-8 on the season after winning 33 games last season.
Belmont took 2-of-3 games from Eastern Kentucky over the weekend to start Ohio Valley Conference play.
The Bruins are batting .236 as a team, led by Ben Kocher’s .370 clip.
Brennan Washington and Nick Egli pace the team with three home runs and 11 and 10 RBI each, respectively.
Tuesday’s starter Queener has started two games for Belmont. In 9.1 innings he has given up five runs on 10 hits with 11 strikeouts and six walks.
Scouting UT Martin:
The Skyhawks are coming off a weekend in which they were swept at home against Tennessee Tech, dropping their record to 6-7 on the season.
Taylor Albright is raking at an absurd .444 clip through 13 games, ranking him 23rd in the nation in batting average. He either leads the team or is tied for the team high in runs (12), hits (24), doubles (7), triples (1) on-base percentage (.492), RBI (15) and sacrifice flies (2).
Creighton Eldridge is the team’s leader in home runs with five long balls and in slugging percentage at .743.
The staff brings a 5.18 ERA with 145 strikeouts and 72 walks in 116.1 innings pitched. Opponents are batting .276 against UT Martin.
Around the Horn:
- In the Division I era, Belmont leads the all-time series 29-18. The Bruins swept the season series last year with a 23-6 victory at Rose Park.
- Lipscomb and UT-Martin have met 26 times in the series history. The Bisons hold a 17-9 advantage overall, including an 11-2 edge at Dugan Field.
- The Bisons downed the Skyhawks 12-4 last season in Music City.
- Lipscomb's 16 stolen bases are first in the ASUN. Gigliotti and Solomon have combined for eight swiped bags themselves, trailing only Stetson's Jacob Koos (7) for the most in the league.
- The Bisons rank 47th in the nation after having accrued 77 bases on balls with Gigliotti drawing an ASUN best 17 walks. Gigliotti's numbers rank seventh in the NCAA.
- Cade Sorrells has reached base in all 15 of Lipscomb's contests in 2017, getting on first at a clip of .448. He and Gigliotti are the only two Bisons to reach in every game.
- Gigliotti picked up his first bunt single of the season in Sunday’s loss to Michigan.
- Lipscomb hammered a season-high five doubles in its 11-9 victory over Tennessee Tech last Wednesday with junior Blake Thomas laying claim to a pair on three hits, his second 3-hit performance of the season.
- The Bisons have turned a league-high 13 double plays, with first baseman Sorrells and second baseman Lee Solomon participating in 12 of those defensive highlights.
- Dayton Tripp will look to bounce back after a rough outing last week against TTU where he gave up six runs on eight hits in 5.1 innings. That matchup represented his shortest outing of the season and the most runs he had given up all year.
- Alex Dorso will be making the third start of his career Wednesday.
Lipscomb will entertain Illinois State this weekend for a three-game series at Dugan Field. Friday’s first pitch is set for 4 p.m.