|March 24, 2017||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: PUCKETT (3-2)||9.0||6||1||1||2||8|
|Loss: Schnieders (2-3)||6.0||8||2||2||2||3|
|March 25, 2017||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: NORMAN (2-2)||1.0||1||0||0||0||0|
|Loss: Gomer (1-1)||1.1||0||1||1||4||1|
|March 26, 2017||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: Hayden (2-3)||5.2||9||4||4||1||4|
|Loss: TRIPP (2-1)||4.0||10||6||6||0||3|
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb baseball team welcomes Evansville to Ken Dugan Field this weekend for its final three-game series before ASUN Conference play begins next week. Friday’s opener is set for a 6 p.m. first pitch, followed by a Saturday contest at 2 p.m. and a Sunday finale at 1 p.m.
Lipscomb (12-8) is riding a season high four-game win streak after knocking off Middle Tennessee 16-2 in Murfreesboro Wednesday night.
The Bisons and Evansville have met 14 times on the diamond in Lipscomb’s NCAA era. The Purple Aces hold an 11-3 advantage and have beaten the Bisons in six straight meetings. Lipscomb’s last win in the series came on March 3, 2008 – an 8-5 victory at Evansville.
In Nashville the Aces lead the series 9-1. Lipscomb’s only win was on February 11, 2007 against an Evansville team that was ranked No. 21 in the nation at the time.
With one win this weekend against the Aces, Lipscomb skipper Jeff Forehand would have his 500th career victory as a collegiate head coach. In fact, his first career NCAA victory came against Evansville on February 11, 2007 – a 5-1 decision.
With expected storms moving into the area, the weekend’s schedule could change. Possibilities include either a doubleheader on Friday or a doubleheader on Sunday, so fans need to continue checking back for updates.
Sunday’s game will be broadcasted on ESPN3, while both Friday and Saturday’s contests can been seen through a video feed on Facebook Live via the Lipscomb Baseball page. Live Stats will be available for all three games.
Lipscomb – RHP – Brady Puckett (2-2, 4.96 ERA, 32.2 IP, 18 ER, 27 K, 9 BB)
Evansville – RHP – Patrick Schnieders (2-2, 2.36 ERA, 26.2 IP, 7 ER, 37 K, 20 BB)
Lipscomb – RHP – Jeffrey Passantino (1-0, 1.78 ERA, 30.1 IP, 6 ER, 39 K, 4 BB)
Evansville –RHP – Connor Strain (0-2, 5.40 ERA, 15.0 IP, 9 ER, 17 K, 15 BB)
Lipscomb – RHP – Dayton Tripp (2-0, 4.50 ERA, 22.0 IP, 11 ER, 12 K, 8 BB)
Evansville – RHP – Justin Hayden (1-3, 7.62 ERA, 26.0 IP, 22 ER, 20 K, 10 BB)
The Purple Aces bring a 7-13 overall record to the Music City after dropping their last three tilts to Western Michigan (4-3), UT Martin (12-4) and SIU Edwardsville (5-2). They have won just one series this season, taking two of three against Milwaukee in the home opening series.
Criag Shepherd (.400) leads a group of four players batting over the .300 clip for Evansville. Kenton Crews (.362), Trey Hair (.317) and Andrew Tanous (.316) round out the group.
Hair currently leads the team and ranks seventh in the nation with 11 doubles this season, averaging .55 per game. He also leads the team with three home runs, 15 RBI, 26 hits and 12 walks.
The pitching staff sports a 5.98 team ERA with 161 strikeouts in 177.2 innings.
Friday’s starter, Schnieders, leads the team with two wins. He sits 25 nationally only allowing 4.73 hits per nine innings pitched. His 2.36 ERA is also tops on the team among all starters.
The righty’s 12.49 strikeouts per nine innings is 36th best across Divison I.
AROUND THE HORN:
- Coach Forehand enters the series just one win shy of picking up No. 500 for his career.
- Lipscomb's 25 stolen bases are first in the ASUN. Michael Gigliotti and Lee Solomon have combined for 15 swiped bags themselves and are one and two in the league.
- The Bisons rank 40th in the nation after having accrued 102 bases on balls with Gigliotti drawing an ASUN best 22 walks. Gigliotti's numbers rank 7thin the NCAA.
- Gigliotti has reached base in all 20 games this season. For his career the speedy leadoff has reached in 120-of-129 games over his three-year career.
- Cade Sorrells leads the team with a .461 on-base clip. He has reached in all but game for the Bisons this season.
- The Bisons have turned the league’s second most double plays at 15, with first baseman Sorrells and second baseman Solomon participating in 13 of those defensive highlights.
- Jeffrey Passantino will look for his second straight win Saturday. After tossing four no-decisions the junior earned ASUN Pitcher of the Week after shutting out the Redbirds of Illinois State over 7.0 innings and tying his career high of 10 Ks.
- Passantino’s 39 strikeouts are the fourth most in the ASUN, while his 1.78 ERA ranks sixth.
- Passantino’s 9.75 strikeout to walk ratio is 19th best in the NCAA.
- Friday starter Brady Puckett enters the weekend with 18 career wins and needs just one victory to tie Brandon McClurg for the most all-time in the Bisons NCAA era.
- The Bisons has a season high 16 runs, 18 hits and six doubles in Wednesday’s win at Middle.
- Blake Thomas collected a career high four hits to take his team leading average to .341 in 15 games this season.
- Solomon paces the squad with eight doubles.
- Jake Perry posted his sixth multi-hit contest of the season against the Blue Raiders and now leads Lipscomb with 19 RBI.
Lipscomb and Vanderbilt will play a midweek tilt Tuesday at the home of the Nashville Sounds, First Tennessee Park. The contest is set to throw out the first pitch at 6:30. You can purchase tickets HERE.