COOKEVILLE, Tenn. - The Lipscomb baseball team returns to the diamond Tuesday for a nonconference tilt in Cookeville against Tennessee Tech at Busch Stadium. The first pitch will be thrown at 6 p.m.
The Bisons are back in the Volunteer State after wrapping up a three-game road swing at USC Upstate to begin ASUN Conference play last weekend. Lipscomb took the first two games by a combined score of 24-7, before dropping the finale on Sunday 16-7.
Junior hurler Nicko Ortega will look to make his second career start as a Bison. The right-hander out of Yavapai College has appeared in nine games and is third on the team with a 3.72 ERA.
The game will be streamed on the OVC Digital Network and live stats will also be available.
Scouting Tennessee Tech:
The Golden Eagles enter the midweek on a roll at 23-7. After sweeping Eastern Illinois over the weekend, TTU is now 12-0 in OVC play and it has won 15 of its last 17 games.
Tech continues to boast one of the top offenses in the country year in and year out. Batting .310 at the dish which ranks 10th in the nation, the Golden Eagles are tops in the NCAA with 263 runs, second with 349 hits, fourth with 48 home runs and ninth with 68 doubles.
Ryan Flick and Trevor Putzig are one and two on the team in average at .393 and .392, respectively. Flick is second in the nation with 17 doubles, fourth with 36 runs and 11th with 46 hits.
Alex Junior is second in the country with 39 runs scored.
Chase Chambers with 10 home runs, leads a group of six different players with five or more homers. He is also the team’s leading RBI man having driven in 36 runs. Six Golden Eagles already have 29 or more RBI on the year.
The pitching staff sports a 5.12 ERA with 268 strikeouts, 113 walks and 153 earned runs allowed in 269 innings. The staff has tossed three shutouts. Ty King will be making his first start of the season.
Lipscomb – RHP- Nicko Ortega: (0-0, 3.72 ERA, 19.1 IP, 8 ER, 9 K, 11 BB)
Tennessee Tech – RHP – Ty King: (0-0, 4.70 ERA, 7.2 IP, 4 ER, 11 K, 9 BB)
Around the Horn:
- The Bisons trail in the all-time series with Tech, 14-10, but they have won the last two meetings, including an 11-9 decision at Dugan Field earlier this season.
- Lipscomb is just 2-9 all-time in Cookeville in the NCAA era.
- Lipscomb’s 39 stolen bases and its .780 success rate are tops in the ASUN.
- The Bisons are one of only two teams in the ASUN that has two players with 20 or more bases on balls this year. Gigliotti's 26 are the most in the league and ninth in the country, while Cade Sorrells’ 22 are sixth most.
- Since the beginning of the 2015 season, the Bisons are a combined 58-26 at home and 25-26 on the road.
- Gigliotti is third all-time in Lipscomb’s NCAA era with 133 runs scored, 82 walks and 42 stolen bases.
- Lipscomb has drawn 146 walks on the year, second most in the ASUN and 22nd most in the NCAA.
- The 39 stolen bases are the 34th most in the country.
- Gigliotti and Solomon are tied for the most swiped bags in the conference this season with 10.
- The Bisons entered the weekend with all of its home runs and triples having come at Dugan Field. Against Upstate, Lipscomb managed two home runs and three triples.
- Zeke Dodson extended his team best hitting streak to 11 games, while also improving his on-base streak to 12 games.
- Dodson leads the team with a .327 batting clip, while Sorrells (.313) is second.
- Jake Perry leads the team with 25 RBI and four home runs. Sorrells is second with 21 RBI and Dodson’s two home runs are second most.
- Six different Bisons have recorded 10 or more walks this season.
Lipscomb picked back up home action this weekend, hosting North Florida for three pivotal ASUN games. Friday’s opener is set for 6 p.m., followed by a 2 p.m. start time Saturday and a 1 p.m. first pitch Sunday.