|April 07, 2017||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: DRURY (5-2)||6.0||5||1||1||4||6|
|Loss: PUCKETT (4-3)||7.0||9||5||5||0||5|
|April 08, 2017||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: DELANEY (5-1)||4.0||5||1||1||0||3|
|Loss: PASSANTINO (1-1)||6.2||12||7||7||1||2|
|April 09, 2017||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: TRIPP (3-2)||5.1||3||1||1||3||5|
|Loss: DEPPERMANN (2-2)||4.0||8||6||3||0||1|
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Coming home for a quick four-game stand, the Lipscomb baseball team steps back into ASUN Conference action this weekend to play host to the North Florida Ospreys in a three-game series that is set to get underway at 6 p.m. Friday at Ken Dugan Field at Stephen Lee Marsh Stadium.
The games on Friday and Sunday (1 p.m.) will be aired on ESPN3. Saturday’s contest
There will also be live stats available throughout the entire series on LipscombSports.com.
The Ospreys bring with them to Nashville a 20-12 overall record and a 2-1 mark in league play. UNF opened ASUN action last weekend at home against the reigning ASUN regular season champion Kennesaw State and after dropping the opener on Friday 8-3, it came back to take the series behind 9-2 and 4-3 triumphs on Saturday and Sunday.
North Florida could not hang on to that momentum in a 20-3 thumping by College of Charleston on Wednesday.
The Ospreys rank sixth in the nation with 338 base hits on the year, and their 61 doubles are 31st best.
Offensively UNF leads the ASUN in runs (211), RBI (195), average (.297), hits and doubles. Their 27 home runs trail on FGCU for the most in the conference.
Seven different players are batting over .300 for UNF, led by Patrick Ervin’s .350 and Alex Merritt’s .349.
Junior outfielder Yahir Gurrola is fourth in the nation with 38 runs scored, 10th in hits (48), and 12th in total bases (81). He is also tops on the team with six home runs, 11 doubles and 30 RBI.
The Osprey pitching staff has the third best ERA in the ASUN at 3.97. UNF hurlers have allowed 153 runs and are holding opponents to a .266 batting average.
Friday night starter Austin Drury returns after earning a spot on the ASUN All-Freshman team in 2016. He is 4-2 with a 3.58 ERA and a team high 14 walks.
Saturday’s starter Frank German is 5-0 in seven starts and hold a team-best 1.73 ERA among starters.
Lipscomb: RHP – Brady Puckett (4-2, 3.97 ERA, 47.2 IP, 21 ER, 38 K, 12 BB)
North Florida: LHP – Austin Drury (4-2, 3.58 ERA, 37.2 IP, 15 ER, 33 K, 14 BB)
Lipscomb: RHP – Jeffrey Passantino (1-0, 2.38 ERA, 45.1 IP, 12 ER, 51 K, 5 BB)
North Florida: RHP – Frank German (5-0, 1.73 ERA, 41.2 IP, 8 ER, 43 K, 13 BB)
Lipscomb: RHP – Dayton Tripp (2-2, 7.52 ERA, 26.1 IP, 22 ER, 15 K, 9 BB)
North Florida: RHP – Brad Deppermann (2-1, 5.72 ERA, 28.1 IP, 18 ER, 23 K, 5 BB)
Around the Horn:
- Lipscomb and UNF have met 28 times in the series history with the Ospreys leading the all-time series 18-10, including three straight. UNF leads the series 7-3 in Nashville.
- Last season Lipscomb won just one of three games in Jacksonville before UNF knocked off the Bisons 1-0 in extra innings of the ASUN Championship.
- Brady Puckett became the program's all-time NCAA wins leader with 20 after taking down Upstate last weekend, 19-4, in the opener. He passed Brandon McClurg (06-09).
- Michael Gigliotti had a 20-game on-base streak come to an end against Evansville. It was the second longest streak in the ASUN this season. He has reached base in 26-of-28 games entering the weekend, and for his career he has only failed to reach 11 times in 137 career games.
- In the midst of his team-high 12-game hitting streak Zeke Dodson is batting .404 with 19 hits in 47 at-bats. He has scored 13 runs and driven in 14 RBI while also adding three doubles, two home runs and eight walks.
- The Bisons have been deadly on the base paths for the third year in a row, swiping a league-high 42 bases, the 35th most in the NCAA.
- Gigliotti paces the league with 12 swipes, while Lee Solomon ranks third with 10.
- Jeffrey Passantino’s 10.13 strikeout to walk ratio is the 12th best mark in the country, while his 0.99 walks allowed per nine innings is 21st.
- Lipscomb’s 150 walks this season rank second in the ASUN behind FGCU and 22nd across Division.
- Gigliotti stands eighth in the nation having drawn 27 base on balls. Cade Sorrells’ 22 rank 55th.
- Jake Perry leads the team with 25 RBI, the sixth most in the ASUN. Sorrells (21) and Dodson (20) follow.
- Gigliotti scored a career high five times last weekend in the opener at Upstate. His 28 runs this season are the third most in the conference.
- Solomon’s nine doubles are the most in the team and tied for ninth in the ASUN.
The Bisons will host Western Kentucky in a Tuesday tilt at Dugan Field on April 11. First pitch is set for 6 p.m.
For more information on the baseball program, continue to check LipscombSports.com for daily updates or follow @BisonBaseball on twitter.