NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb baseball team returns home for the Battle of the Boulevard on Tuesday when rival Belmont visits Ken Dugan Field at 6 p.m.
The Bisons (20-17) are riding a three-game win streak after going on the road to sweep NJIT over the weekend. They will look to use that momentum as the midweek tilt with the Bruins will be the first of an eight-game home stand.
Junior transfer Nicko Ortega will get the start for Lipscomb against Belmont. The righthander is 0-0 with a 2.81 ERA. Tuesday will be his third start of the season.
The contest will be streamed via Facebook Live through the Lipscomb Baseball page. Also live stats will be available.
Lipscomb – RHP – Adam Stewart: (0-0, 2.81 ERA, 25.2 IP, 8 ER, 16 K, 14 BB)
Belmont – RHP – Casey Queener: (2-2, 3.41 ERA, 34.1 IP, 13 ER, 36 K, 11 BB)
The Bruins head into the contest 19-19 on the season and 13-8 in Ohio Valley Conference action.
Belmont has won three of its last four games, including a series win over Jacksonville State last weekend on the road.
The Bruins are batting .262 and are led by Nick Egli’s .418 clip. He paces the squad with 33 runs, 51 hits, 15 doubles, 12 home runs, 38 RBI and 21 walks. His .869 slugging percentage and .520 on-base percentage is also best on the team.
Tuesday’s starter Queener has started six games for Belmont. In 34.1 innings he has given up 14 runs on 39 hits with 36 strikeouts and 11 walks.
AROUND THE HORN:
- In the Division I era, Belmont leads the all-time series 29-18. The Bruins swept the season series last year with a 23-6 victory at Rose Park.
- The Bisons are 25th in the country with 197 walks on the season. Michael Gigliotti leads the way with 35, which is 13th best nationally.
- After swiping 13 bases against NJIT, the Bisons now have 63 this season – the 24th most in the country. Michael Gigliotti (17) and Lee Solomon (16) are second and third in the ASUN and both rank in the top 35 in the nation in bags.
- The 1.70 stolen bases per game are the 19th most across Divison I.
- Gigliotti and Hunter Hanks are riding a 13-game on-base streak entering Tuesday. Gigliotti also has a hit in nine straight games.
- Denton Norman is third in the ASUN with five saves.
- Zeke Dodson leads the Bisons with a .322 batting average. He is also tops on the team with 47 hits.
- Cade Sorrells is the only other Bison raking above the mendoza line at .301. His 27 walks are second on the team behind Gigliotti.
- Jake Perry (.280) leads the team with five home runs and 31 RBI.
- Jeffrey Crisan hit two homers and drove in six RBI against NJIT. He only had one career home run and four RBI all season entering the series.
Lipscomb hosts Kennesaw State this weekend for three games in ASUN Conference action. Friday’s opener is set for 6 p.m. at Dugan Field.