|May 13, 2017||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Florida Gulf Coast||3||0||0||0||3||1||2||5||X||14||13||4|
|Win: ANDERSON (5-1)||5.1||7||5||4||3||3|
|Loss: NORMAN (4-4)||5.0||6||6||5||4||5|
FORT MYERS, Fla. – The Lipscomb baseball team saw its weekend struggles continue Saturday night in the finale with Florida Gulf Coast, as the Eagles scored 11 times over the last five frames to down the Bisons 14-7 and earn a big series sweep at Swanson Stadium in ASUN Conference action.
The loss drops Lipscomb’s record to 26-23 overall and 8-10 in league action. FGCU improved to 34-16 and 10-8.
The Bisons took a 1-0 lead in the first stanza when Cade Sorrells knocked in Michael Gigliotti, who led off the innings with a double down the right field line.
After the Eagles put up three runs in the bottom of the first, Lipscomb responded with a pair of two-run frames in the third and fourth to recapture the lead at 5-3.
Lee Solomon drove in runs with a triple and a sacrifice fly. Sorrells picked up his second RBI of the night with a single and Hunter Hanks scored via a FGCU error after leading off the inning with a double.
From the fifth inning on, it was all Eagles.
The home team scored three times in the fifth, once in the sixth, two more in the seventh and five in the eighth.
Lipscomb got a single run in the seventh on a Hanks solo homer and another in the eighth after Zeke Dodson doubled down the left field line to bring home Gigliotti.
Making his third start of the season on the mound, Denton Norman had his worst outing of the season. The senior from Katy, Texas pitched five innings where he allowed six runs (five earned) on six hits and four walks. Norman did strike out five batters.
The loss drops his season record to 4-4.
AROUND THE HORN:
- The loss marks the first time since 2012 that the Bisons have suffered two sweeps in the same season to ASUN foes.
- It is the third time in 2017 that Lipscomb has been swept (Michigan, Jacksonville).
- Eight starters collected base hits for Lipscomb.
- Hanks and Watson led the way with two knocks apiece.
- Solomon and Sorrells paced the Bisons with two RBI.
- Gigliotti extended his on-base streak to 25 games.
- FGCU outhit Lipscomb 12-11 overall.
- The Bisons left 11 men on base, compared to seven for the Eagles.
- Kyle Kemp, John Pryor, Dallas Gibson and Nicko Ortega all made appearances out of the bullpen.
The Bisons will return home for their final four games of the season. They will host Austin Peay at 1 p.m. Tuesday before welcoming Stetson to Dugan Field for three games beginning on Thursday.