|February 16, 2018||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: COLON (1-0)||5.0||5||2||2||3||6|
|Loss: FULBRIGHT (0-1)||4.2||3||3||3||4||5|
|February 17, 2018||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: GUTIERREZ (1-0)||1.0||1||0||0||1||2|
|Loss: NICHOLS (0-1)||1.0||1||1||1||0||2|
|February 18, 2018||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: CARR (1-0)||5.1||5||1||1||1||6|
|Loss: THOMPSON (0-1)||3.1||3||2||1||3||3|
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The highly anticipated season for the Lipscomb baseball team officially gets under way this weekend when the Bisons play host to the UNC Asheville Bulldogs for a three-game series at Ken Dugan Field at Stephen L. Marsh Stadium. Friday’s season opener is set for a 4 p.m. first pitch.
It is the ninth consecutive season that Lipscomb has opened its season at home. In that span the Bisons are 4-4 on opening days.
Head coach Jeff Forehand enters his 12th year as skipper for the Bisons where he is a combined 304-331 overall and 146-147 in the ASUN Conference.
Lipscomb is on a streak of four straight season with 30 or more wins. The weekend series will mark the first time the Bisons and Bulldogs have ever faced one another on the diamond.
- Friday – February 16 at 4 p.m.
- Saturday – February 17 at 2 p.m.
- Sunday – February 17 at 1 p.m.
Live stats and a Facebook Live video stream will be available for all three games.
Projected Weekend Rotation:
- Friday – RHP Joshua Colon (Jr.) LHP Jordan Fulbright
- Saturday - RHP Chris Kachmar (Jr.) LHP Greg Gasparro
- Sunday – LHP Noah Thompson (Fr.) LHP Jordan Carr
Scouting UNC Asheville:
- The Bulldogs finished 25-32 overall and 11-13 in Big South play.
- They return 19 players from last season and welcome 10 freshmen.
- 2017 Collegiate Baseball News Freshman All-American Brandon Lankford batted .268 in 56 starts, while pacing the team with 10 home runs and 15 doubles.
- Out of the starting rotation, only Gasparro made an appearance last season. He finished 3-4 with a 4.61 ERA in 18 appearances with 12 starts.
Around the Diamond:
- Lipscomb finished last season 28-28 overall, giving the Bisons a .500 record or better in four consecutive seasons.
- Lipscomb's offense produced 327 total runs (fifth in the ASUN), while 127 of those came in ASUN play, which ranked second in the league.
- As a team, the Bisons finished second in the ASUN in on-base percentage at .373, while sitting fourth with a .383 slugging percentage.
- Zeke Dodson, who finished with a team-leading .309 batting average, returns after earning Second Team All-Conference honors last year. He also drove in 37 RBI.
- Jake Perry will look to provide some power in the middle of the order after slugging seven homers last season. He added 37 RBI and a .464 slugging percentage.
- Dodson and Perry were ASUN Preseason All-Conference selections in 2018.
- Lee Solomon looks to display his speed once again after swiping 23 bags in 2017 – the second highest total in the league. He was labeled a third team Preseason All-American by Collegiate Baseball in the offseason.
- Junior Cade Sorrells saw a full season as the primary first baseman in 2017 for the Bisons and will return as Lipscomb’s top RBI man after knocking in 42 runs and hitting .298.
- On the mound, Lipscomb lost its top three hurlers from a year ago to graduation and the MLB Draft.
- Kyle Kemp had the team's highest K/9 ratio at 10.27 last season, while Dayton Tripp returns after making 12 starts and pitching 61.0 innings.
- The Bisons will look to break in some new arms this season, after finishing fifth in the ASUN with a 4.92 ERA in 2017.
- They dipped into the junior college ranks to pull right-handers Joshua Colon and Chris Kachmar. Both are projected as the Friday and Saturday arms.
- Colon went 3-2 with a 3.28 ERA and 53 strikeouts in 49.1 innings last season at Western Oklahoma State College, while Kachmar posted a 3-2 mark and a 3.79 ERA in 57 innings at Palm Beach State College.
- 15 of the team’s first 17 games will be played at Dugan Field.
- Lipscomb only won two conference series last season, but managed to pick up a win in the ASUN Championship over No. 2 Stetson.
- Head Coach Jeff Forehand and the Bisons will have their sights set on making a run in 2018 and returning back to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2015.
Next up for the Bisons is a midweek matchup at Lindsey Nelson Stadium against the University of Tennessee in Knoxville on Tuesday, Feb. 20. First pitch is set for 2:30 p.m. (CT).