|February 23, 2018||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: Tristan Weaver (1-0)||5.0||3||3||2||6||3|
|Loss: COLON (1-1)||1.2||1||1||1||1||1|
|Dane Giesler (INS)||3||2||2||1||2||0|
|Dane Tofteland (INS)||4||1||2||6||0||1|
|Romero Harris (INS)||4||3||2||4||1||2|
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – In the opening game of the SAF Dirt Classic, the Lipscomb baseball team fell behind early to Indiana State and never recovered as visiting Sycamores defeated the Bisons 17-3 Friday night at Ken Dugan Field.
Lipscomb (2-3) had issues on the mound in the top of the second when starter Joshua Colon was lifted after facing just eight batters, leaving the remainder of the game in the hands of the bullpen.
Trailing 4-0 in the fourth, the Bisons cut into the deficit when redshirt freshman Chris Bashlor hit a ball through the short stop’s legs, allowing two runs to plate. Zeke Dodson and Josh Martinez scored after reaching on a walk and a single to left.
Indiana State (3-2) pounced on the Bisons pitching staff with five walks, three hits and two wild pitches to record a 7-run frame in the top of the fifth, extending their lead to 11-2.
Lipscomb got a run back in the home half of the fifth when Jake Perry hit a sacrifice fly to left field to bring in Lee Solomon, who reached on a 7-pitch walk. That would be all the runs the Bisons would score.
Colon took the loss after working 1.2 innings and giving up one run on one hit. The bullpen combined to pitch the final 7.1 innings and allow 16 runs on 14 hits, 13 walks and two hit by pitches.
Indiana State’s Tristan Weaver notched his first victory of the season with a 5-inning effort that saw him surrender three runs on four this and six walks.
AROUND THE HORN:
- Five different players recorded one hit apiece for the Bisons, with Bashlor and Perry each getting an RBI.
- ISU stranded 15 men on base, compared to nine for Lipscomb.
- Cade Sorrells, Dodson and Allan Hooker all drew two walks, leading to nine free passes as a team.
- The 17 runs given up are the most allowed by the Bisons staff since surrendering 19 to FGCU on May 14, 2016.
- Dane Tofteland went 2-for-4 with a double, a home run and six RBI for ISU, while Romero Harris added four RBI and three runs on a 2-for-4 night.
The Bisons host Kent State on Saturday at 2 p.m. before welcoming Fairleigh Dickinson to Dugan Field Sunday at 1 p.m. in the finale of the SAF Dirt Classic.