NASHVILLE, Tenn. – After a 27-7 loss to Tennessee Tech on Tuesday night, the Lipscomb baseball team was in desperate need of a positive performance when its series with Northern Kentucky opened on Thursday afternoon.
The Bisons delivered just that, handing the Norse a 9-5 defeat at Ken Dugan Field at Stephen Lee Marsh Stadium.
Freshman starting pitcher Max Habegger went three solid innings before running into trouble in the fourth. From there, senior Nicko Ortega and JUCO transfer Robbie Knox combined to pitch the final 4.1 innings and close out the victory.
Lipscomb got on the board in the second inning when Josh Martinez lined a single to plate Lee Solomon.
In the third, the Lipscomb bats exploded for five runs. A gapper from Blake Thomas allowed Chandler Chambers and Cade Sorrells to score, and then Solomon added an RBI on a throwing error. Senior catcher Jeffery Crisan hit a bloop single to center to drive in Solomon and Zeke Dodson to give the Bisons a 6-0 advantage.
Northern Kentucky’s Brendan Alas answered with a 2-run bomb in the top of the fourth, trimming Lipscomb’s lead to 6-2. The two teams traded runs in the fifth, as Martinez’s sacrifice fly brought Solomon home.
Northern Kentucky tacked on runs in the seventh and eighth innings, but RBI base knocks from Martinez and Crisan gave the Bisons all the cushion they needed.
Around the Horn:
- With the victory, Lipscomb improved to 4-5 on the season.
- Martinez went 2-for-3 with 3 RBI and two runs scored. He improved his batting average to .290.
- Crisan went 3-for-4 with 3 RBI in his second game back from injury.
- Adam Stewart pitched to one batter in the fourth and walked in a run.
- Ortega picked up the win to improve his season record to 1-1.
- Time of game was 3:05 with 126 fans in attendance.
The Bisons and will continue their series with the Norse on Friday at 2 p.m. Lipscomb RHP Erik Gutierrez (1-0, 12.27 ERA, 4 K, 4 BB) will get the nod on the mound. Fans can follow the action on Facebook Live.