|March 13, 2018||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: Schultz (1-0)||0.2||0||0||0||0||0|
|Loss: STEWART (0-1)||2.0||8||5||5||0||0|
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb baseball team entered Tuesday’s Battle of the Boulevard game at Belmont looking to continue the school’s recent dominance over its rival.
With 9 victories against Bruin teams during the 2017-18 school year, the Bisons had already clinched the inaugural Boulevard All-Sports Trophy.
However, a ninth-inning rally wasn’t quite enough for the Bisons (8-9) to overcome their slow start, and the Bruins took an 8-7 victory in walk-off fashion at E.S. Rose Park.
Belmont freshman Jackson Campbell lined a double to left in the bottom of the ninth, allowing Hunter Holland to score the game’s winning run.
The Bruins (7-9) entered the top of the ninth with a 7-4 advantage, but the Bisons made it interesting with three runs on three hits. Lipscomb senior Jeffrey Crisan brought in a run with a sacrifice fly, before designated hitter Chris Bashlor drove in two more with an RBI single to tie the contest.
Lipscomb starter Adam Stewart was tagged for five earned runs in the first two innings, putting the Bisons in an early hole.
But Lipscomb got two back in the third when Zeke Dodson ripped a single up the middle to score Carson Wright and Cade Sorrells. The Bisons’ other two runs came in the sixth, when senior Blake Thomas drove in Wright and Jackson Furstace with a single.
Following Stewart’s rough start, the Lipscomb bullpen combined to go 6.2 innings and surrendered just one earned run. But three fielding errors and two subsequent unearned runs ultimately doomed the Bisons.
Around the Horn:
- Belmont improved its all-time series record to 29-18 with Tuesday’s victory. The Bruins have won the last five meetings between the two rivals.
- Lipscomb beat out 12 base knocks, and five Bisons registered multi-hit performances.
- Dodson went 2-for-5 with 2 RBI to improve his season average to .400.
- Knox was saddled with the loss, his second of the season. The walk-off RBI was just the third earned run allowed by the JUCO transfer in 19 innings of work.
- Bashlor also batted 2-for-5 with 2 RBI and a run scored.
- Senior Dayton Tripp went 3.1 solid innings in relief of Stewart, but he did give up two unearned runs after a fielding error by left fielder Josh Martinez in the third.
- Nicko Ortega tossed a scoreless inning of relief to lower his season ERA to 3.09.
- Time of game was 3:29 with 132 fans in attendance.
Lipscomb will try to bounce back when UNC-Greensboro (11-4) comes to town this weekend. Game 1 of the series is set for 4 p.m. on Friday at Ken Dugan Field.