NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Lipscomb baseball team opened a three-game series Friday night with a 9-3 loss to UNC Greensboro at Ken Dugan Field at Stephen L. Marsh Stadium in nonconference action.
The Spartans (13-4) broke open a 1-1 game with a pair of runs in the fifth and three more in the sixth. Lipscomb (9-9) responded in the bottom of the sixth with a single tally when Zeke Dodson singled down the left field line to drive hom Carson Wright.
Two frames later it was Dodson again who put the Bisons on the board, this time with a RBI-groundout that knocked in Blake Thomas.
UNC Greensboro finished off the Purple and Gold with three runs on three hits in the final inning to round out the scoring.
Lipscomb's Alex Dorso got his first start of the season on the mound for the Bisons. The southpaw was lifted after 4.2 innings with three runs on six hits and two walks. He fell to 0-1 on the year.
The Bisons offense was led by Tevin Symonette who collected two of the team's four base knocks. Thomas batted 1-for-3 at the top of the order with one RBI. Symonette scored on a groundout to third by the senior shortstop.
UNCG's starter, Frisbee, tossed a complete game with 13 strikeouts to improve to 3-0 on the year. The Spartans got a 5-for-5 performance with four RBI from 9-hole hitter Hardison.
AROUND THE HORN:
- Lipscomb left six runners on base. UNCG stranded 10.
- The Bisons were 1-for-9 with runners in scoring position, while the Spartans connected on 6-of-13.
- Erik Gutierrez, Max Habegger and Dayton Tripp combined to throw the final 4.1 frames out of the bullpen.
- Gutierrez surrendered three runs on four hits in two-thirds of an inning, while Tripp allowed three runs on five hits and three walks.
- Wright, Thomas and Cade Sorrells each drew a free pass.
- Jake Perry finished the game 0-for-3 with three strikeouts as the designated hitter.
The Bisons and Spartans get back at it on Saturday at 2 p.m. The first 100 fans to the game will recieve a free St. Patrick's Day baseball T-shirt.