NASHVILLE – The Lipscomb baseball team is set to get back on the diamond Tuesday for a midweek matchup with UT Martin. First pitch at Skyhawk Park is slated for 4 p.m.
The Bisons (13-14) are coming a week in which they brought down No. 8 Vanderbilt 5-1, and then took two-of-three from NJIT to open ASUN Conference play.
Live stats will be available HERE for the meeting.
- Lipscomb and UT-Martin have met 27 times in the series history. The Bisons hold a 17-10 advantage overall, but the series is tied at 7-7 all-time at Skyhawk Park.
- The teams met just once last season with UT Martin winning 7-3 at Dugan Field.
- Lipscomb’s last game in Martin, Tennessee was in 2014 when the Bisons won a 12-2 decision behind seven combined RBI from Jonathan Allison and Drew Adams.
SCOUTING THE SKYHAWKS
The Skyhaws bring a 5-17 overall record and a 2-10 mark in Ohio Valley Conference play into Tuesday. They have dropped their last eight matches and have not won a game since March 16 in the opener with Southeast Missouri.
UT Martin is led by Jordan Stoner who is batting .340 to go along with two homers and 10 RBI. Carson Shrode boasts a team-high six home runs as well as 18 RBIs for the Skyhawks. Both Stoner and Shrode are coming off of big weekends as they hit .462 and .385, respectively.
The Skyhawks have also seen run production from Ethan Whitley with five homers and 17 RBI, as well as Tyler Albright with two home runs and 13 runs driven in.
The Skyhawk bullpen is led by relievers David Hussey (0-0, 5.25 ERA), Nick Wohlbold (0-0, 6.00 ERA) and Konnor Aherin (2-2, 6.75 ERA).
AROUND THE HORN
- Zeke Dodson leads the team with a .354 batting clip, 35 hits, six doubles, 21 RBI and a .545 slugging percentage. He also has a team-high 11 games of multiple hits and seven with multiple RBI.
- Blake Thomas has provided the Bisons with plenty of spark after moving to the leadoff position. He has reached base safely in 22 straight games and leads the ASUN in stolen bases with 14. He tops the team with 26 runs scored and is batting .253 with four extra-base hits and 10 RBI.
- Cade Sorrells is one of two players (Thomas) to have started all 27 games for Lipscomb this season. He leads the conference and ranks 12th in the country with 26 walks.
- Sorrells is the 32nd toughest player in the nation to strikeout as he only has seven punchouts in 98 at-bats – one in every 14 at-bats.
- Tevin Symonette enters Tuesday having reached base in 14 consecutive contests. In total, he has reached safely in 18-of-19 games this season. At the dish, he has a base knock in five straight and in 11 of the last 12. The junior is batting .268 with two homers, 14 RBI and 10 runs scored.
- Maddux Houghton leads the team with a six-game hitting streak.
- Catcher Jeffrey Crisan is second on the team with a .342 batting average and 16 RBI.
- 10 different players have recorded a home run for Lipscomb this season.
- Chris Bashlor has seen a recent uptick at the dish. After batting .217 in the month of February, Bashlor has raised his average to .294. He hits in six of his last nine games with four multi-hit games and five multi-RBI contests. He hit his first career home run on Friday against NJIT.
- Junior Robbie Knox leads the Lipscomb pitching staff with a 1.45 ERA – the 27th best mark in the nation. His 16 appearances also leads the team and is the 11th most in Division I.
- Alex Dorso and Noah Thompson leads the Bisons with three wins each. Dorso earned two wins this last week (Vandy and NJIT), while Thompson is second on the squad with a 1.97 ERA.
- Kyle Kemp paces the squad with four saves. Knox is just behind with three.
Lipscomb will return home this weekend to host Jacksonville for a three-game ASUN series at Dugan Field. The series will get under way at 6 p.m. Friday.