|April 10, 2018||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: TRIPP (1-2)||1.2||1||0||0||0||2|
|Loss: NEWBERG (3-1)||0.1||3||3||3||2||0|
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Through seven innings of Tuesday’s tilt with Austin Peay, it appeared that the Lipscomb baseball team was heading for its sixth midweek loss of the season.
However, the Bisons plated five runs in the eighth inning for an 8-6, come-from-behind victory over the Governors at Ken Dugan Field at Stephen L. Marsh Stadium.
Josh Martinez highlighted the frame with a bloop hit that got under the glove of Austin Peay right fielder Nick Walker, which allowed three Bisons to score and tied the game at 6.
Back-to-back RBI singles from Blake Thomas and Tevin Symonette gave Lipscomb a 2-run lead, which was all Robbie Knox needed to earn his fourth save of the year.
The Bisons opted for a staff day on the mound, as is customary in midweek games. Eight pitchers – including Knox, Kyle Kemp, Palmer Steventon, Erik Gutierrez, Alex Dorso, Ryan Stevens, Max Habegger and Dayton Tripp – made appearances against Austin Peay.
Kemp was effective in his second start of the season. The right-hander went three innings and struck out four Govs, while allowing two hits and one unearned run.
Austin Peay (18-15, 9-6 OVC) jumped out to a lead with a sac fly from Parker Phillips in the second, before Brett Newburg crushed a 2-run home run to put the Govs up 3-0 in the fourth.
Lipscomb (15-16, 3-3 ASUN) answered with three runs in the bottom of the fifth. Jackson Furstace plated two with a single to right, and he later scored on a triple from Cade Sorrells.
Phillips added two more runs with sac flies in the sixth and seventh, and a throwing error by Lipscomb catcher Chris Bashlor allowed Austin Peay shortstop Garrett Kuber to score. That extended the Govs’ lead to 6-3, which stood until Lipscomb’s outburst in the eighth.
Around the Horn:
- With the victory, the Bisons improved to 2-5 in midweek games this season.
- Lipscomb pounded out 8 bases hits to Austin Peay’s 7.
- Symonette extended his on-base streak to 18 games with an RBI single in the eighth.
- Furstace went 2-for-3 with 2 RBI and two runs scored.
- Martinez was the only other Lipscomb hitter to record multiple base knocks, as he went 2-for-3 with 3 RBI.
- Tripp made his 10th appearance of the season and tossed 1.2 scoreless frames. He also earned his first victory of the season.
- Austin Peay starter Harley Gollert went three scoreless innings and struck out a pair of Bisons.
- Newburg was tagged with the loss after moving from designated hitter to the mound in the eighth.
- Time of game was 3:30 with 157 fans in attendance at Dugan Field.
The Bisons hit the road this weekend for another ASUN conference series at Stetson. Game 1 is set for Friday at 5:30 p.m. in Deland, Florida.