NASHVILLE – The Lipscomb baseball team is coming off a tough road series this past weekend, but with a midweek tilt against Middle Tennessee on Tuesday, the Bisons are looking to build some momentum.
The matchup with the Blue Raiders is set for 6 p.m. at Reese Smith Jr. Field.
The Bisons (15-19) dropped all three games against Stetson over the weekend, while the Hatters pitching staff limited Lipscomb to just three runs on 14 hits all series.
Senior Nicko Ortega will get his first start of the season on Tuesday. He is 2-1 with a 4.15 ERA in 26.0 innings of work. The righty has 20 strikeouts and 15 walks to his ledger.
Middle Tennessee (19-17-1) is coming off a 1-1-1 weekend against Rice where after splitting the first two games, the teams ended the finale in a 5-5 tie.
- MT’s offense is batting .275 overall with 28 home runs, 205 RBI, 171 walks, 323 strikeouts and 48 stolen bases.
- Austin Dennis has reached base in 26 straight games and is leading the Blue Raiders in plate appearances (154), batting average (.351), runs scored (41) and hits (54).
- Aaron Aucker is just behind Dennis with a .347 clip. He has smashed eight home runs and leads the team with 44 RBI.
- Aucker leads a group of four Blue Raiders that already has 20+ RBI. Lipscomb has just one.
- Middle Tennessee’s pitching staff carries a 5.81 ERA with 299 strikeouts and 217 walks in 331.2 innings. They are limiting opponents to a .286 batting average.
- The Blue Raiders downed the Bisons 8-7 in 10 innings back on March 21 at Dugan Field. The Bisons scored five runs in the first inning, but the visitors chipped away with runs in each of the last two innings to get the victory.
- Lipscomb leads the all-time series 29-25.
- Senior Jeffrey Crisan leads the team with a .340 batting. He has two home runs and 19 RBI while leading the team in OBP at .411.
- Junior Zeke Dodson has seen his average dip to .317, but is still leading the Bisons in hits (39), doubles (6), home runs (4), and RBI (24).
- Lee Solomon had a nice weekend at Stetson with a double, a homer and a RBI. He is now batting .262 with 15 RBI and four stolen bases in 20 games.
- Blake Thomas leads the team with 15 stolen bases.
- Robbie Knox paces the squad with a 1.50 ERA in 36.0 innings. He and Kyle Kemp are tied for the team lead in saves with four apiece.
The Bisons are set to make a trip to Kennesaw State for a three-game series with the Owls this weekend. The series will get under way at 5 p.m. Friday.