MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - The Lipscomb baseball team dropped its fourth straight outing after a 12-6 loss to Middle Tennessee in midweek action Tuesday night at Reese Smith Jr. Field.
The defeat drops the Purple and Gold to 15-20 on the year, while the Blue Raiders improve to 20-17-1.
Trailing 1-0, the Bisons got things rolling in the top of the second with four-straight singles, including a RBI knock from senior right fielder Allan Hooker that bounced high over the mound allowing him to beat the throw. Maddux Houghton singled on a bunt in the next at-bat, but an errant throw from the pitcher allowed Jake Perry to score from second.
Lipscomb then pushed its lead to 3-1 in the top of the third when Zeke Dodson ripped an infield single to plate Lee Solomon, who led off the frame with a single to center. It would be the last lead of the night for the Purple and Gold as Middle Tennessee took advantage of three Bison miscues to score a trio of runs in the third and fourth innings and grab a 7-3 advantage.
Sophomore right fielder Josh Martinez tried to get the Bisons back into it with a leadoff home run to right field in the sixth. It was his third long ball of the season.
An inning later, after back-to-back singles from Blake Thomas and Solomon, junior first baseman Cade Sorrells put a drive into a ball to right center to bring around Thomas for a RBI double. A pitching change for the Blue Raiders led to three consecutive strikeouts to end the scoring threat.
Right-hander Nicko Ortega got his first start of the season for Lipscomb on the bump. The senior hurler allowed one run on two hits and a pair of walks. Junior Adam Stewart was tagged with the loss after 2.2 frames of relief. He surrendered six runs – three earned - on six hits.
Alex Dorso, Erik Gutierrez and Robbie Knox combined to work the final 4.0 frames. They allowed five runs on seven hits and a pair of free passes.
- Middle Tennessee outhit Lipscomb 15-14.
- The 14 knocks were the second most of the season for Lipscomb and its 11th time to reach double digits.
- Eight different players recorded base hits for the Bisons, including five with a pair of knocks.
- Solomon led the team with a 3-for-4 night. He recorded a pair of runs, a double and his fifth stolen base of the year.
- Martinez’s sixth-inning home run was his third of the season. He was 2-for-4 with a RBI and a team-high two runs scored.
- The RBI double from Sorrells was his sixth two-bagger and 17th run driven in this season.
- Lipscomb struck out nine times at the dish and only drew two walks.
- The Bisons made three errors for the eighth time this season.
- Game of time was 3 hours 25 minutes.
The Bisons will head to Kennesaw, Georgia this weekend to for a three-game ASUN Conference series with Kennesaw State. The set is scheduled to get under way at 5 p.m.