NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Lipscomb baseball will wrap the month of April with a crucial ASUN Conference series against USC Upstate this weekend at Ken Dugan Field. The three-game set with the Spartans is scheduled to get under way with a 6 p.m. first pitch on Friday.
The rest of the series is slated for 6 p.m. Saturday and 1 p.m. on Sunday.
Lisp comb enters the weekend 16-23 overall and 4-8 in the ASUN after dropping two-of-three at Kennesaw State last weekend.
The series is big in the fact that Lipscomb and Upstate are tied in the conference standings. Whoever prevails this weekend will have a leg up with the tiebreaker as we approach the conference tournament in May.
Lipscomb – Josh Colon – RHP (1-2, 2.59 ERA, 24.1 IP, 7 ER, 15 K, 14 BB)
USC Upstate– Kevin Hickey – RHP (2-2, 3.55 ERA, 58.1 IP, 23 ER, 35 K, 19 BB)
Lipscomb – Chris Kachmar– RHP (2-3, 4.40 ERA, 59.1 IP, 29 ER, 59 K, 23 BB)
USC Upstate – Jordan Marks – RHP (2-5, 5.30 ERA, 52.2 IP, 31 ER, 35 K, 10 BB)
Lipscomb – Noah Thompson – LHP (3-3, 3.23 ERA, 47.1 IP, 17 ER, 23 K, 17 BB)
USC Upstate – Blake Whitney - RHP (4-1, 1.62 ERA, 55.2 IP, 10 ER, 65 K, 14 BB)
The Spartans (21-22-1) enter the weekend tied with the Bisons in the ASUN standings at 4-8. They are hitting .273 on the road with 17 extra-base hits in 13 contests.
Offensivley, they lead the league in several categories, including triples (17), walks (192), sacrifice hits (34), as well as their 55 free passes against ASUN foes.
Blake Whitney is one of three Spartan pitchers with 50.0 or more innings pitched already this season. Whitney's 1.62 ERA is the best on the squad, while his 65 strikeouts lead the team as well.
Charlie Carpenter had a go-ahead three-run homer in the lone win against FGCU last weekend to take over the team lead in RBI. He has 35 on the year, while Russell Schwertfeger ranks second with 34.
Kyle Gensler is one of the top hitting ASUN freshmen this year as he is batting .318 on the year. He has 26 RBI entering this weekend, while his OBP of .410 ranks 14th overall in the ASUN.
The Spartans haven't won a series against Lipscomb since 2013-14. They look for their second ASUN series win on the year after defeating NJIT twice a couple weeks ago.
AROUND THE HORN
- The Bisons have collected 13 of their 16 victories this season at home.
- Lipscomb ranks seventh in the ASUN in offense with 205 runs and 315 hits.
- Zeke Dodson leads the team, and is one of three players with 20 or more RBI. He has 26, while Jeffrey Crisan has driven in 24 and Maddux Houghton has knocked in 20.
- The Bisons pitching staff also stands seventh in the conference with a 5.06 ERA.
- Robbie Knox and Kyle Kemp leads the squad with four saves apiece. Knox has tossed 40.0 frames, while Kemp leads the team with a 11.40 K/9 ratio.
- Senior Jake Perry got on track with a pair of long balls last weekend at Kennesaw State, giving him four on the season. He hit seven in 2017 and earned second team All-ASUN honors as a DH. Six of his 14 RBI this season have come in the last three games.
Lipscomb will get a break from midweek action as finals are taking place on campus for all students, however the Bisons will be back in action Friday, May 4 when SEMO visits the Music City for three games.