|May 04, 2018||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: ORTEGA (3-1)||2.0||1||0||0||1||1|
|Loss: STRETCH (0-2)||1.1||0||1||1||3||2|
|May 06, 2018||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: ORTEGA (4-1)||0.2||0||0||0||0||1|
|Loss: BERGTHOLDT (0-5)||1.2||0||0||0||2||1|
NASHVIILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb baseball team will honor the winner of the annual Ken Dugan Award as well as 11 graduating members of the squad while hosting Southeastern Missouri in a three-game nononference series this weekend at Ken Dugan Field at Stephen L. Marsh Stadium.
The series is scheduled for 6 p.m. starts on Friday and Saturday before a 1 p.m. finale on Sunday.
Friday's tilt will see the Dugan Award winner announced in a brief ceremony before the game, while prior to Saturday's contest the seniors will be honored before first pitch.
The Bisons, who did not play a midweek with final exams going on, took an important series from USC Upstate last weekend by winning the first two meetings, 5-2 and 7-4. Those wins helped move Lipscomb into fifth in the ASUN standings with three short weeks to play in the regular season.
The games on Friday and Saturday can be streamed on ESPN3, while Sunday’s finale can be seen on Facebook Live. Fans can also follow along with live stats throughout the weekend’s entirety.
The Redhawks bring to Nashville a 21-24 overall record and a 15-9 ledger in Ohio Valley Conference play. They are batting .287 as a team and are led by Trevor Ezell’s .402 clip – which ranks 12th in the nation. Ezell also ranks fifth in Division I with 74 hits.
Justin Dirden is SEMO’s heavy hitter with a team-high 12 home runs and 26 walks to go along with a .337 batting average and 16 doubles. His 55 RBI is the ninth-best total in the country.
Three different players have recorded 43 or more RBI. By comparison, the Bisons are led by Zeke Dodson’s 27.
On the mound the Redhawks carry a 4.74 ERA with 333 strikeouts in 391.0 innings. Carlos Vega paces the squad with a 7-3 mark and a 1.82 ERA after surrendering just 11 earned runs in 54.1 innings. His 62 strikeouts are also a team high.
AROUND THE HORN
- The Bisons have collected 15 of their 18 victories this season at home.
- Lipscomb ranks seventh in the ASUN in offense with 217 runs and 334 hits.
- Zeke Dodson leads the team, and is one of three players with 20 or more RBI. He has 27, while Jeffrey Crisan has driven in 25 and Maddux Houghton has knocked in 20.
- The Purple and Gold is tied for third in the nation as 13 different players have hit a home run. Tennessee Tech leads the nation with 15 players.
- On the base paths the Bisons have swiped 50 stolen bases, the second highest total in the ASUN.
- The Bisons pitching staff stands eighth in the conference with a 5.61 ERA and a .278 batting average against.
- The staff does lead the league with 18 runners picked off. No other team has more than 10.
- Robbie Knox and Kyle Kemp leads the squad with four saves apiece. Knox has tossed 42.0 frames, while Kemp leads the team with a 11.25 K/9 ratio.
- Senior Jake Perry continued to swing a hot bat last weekend as he blasted his fifth home run of the season, a team high. He hit seven in 2017 and earned second team All-ASUN honors as a DH. Nine of his 17 RBI this season have come in the last six games.
KEN DUGAN AWARD:
In a brief on-the-field ceremony before Friday's opener the Dugan Family, joined by past winners, will present the prestigious 2018 Ken Dugan Award to the selected winner in front of his teammates, family, coaching staff and fans in attendance.
Former Bison Denton Norman was the recipient in 2017.
SENIOR DAY FESTIVITIES:
There will be a brief "Senior Day" ceremony 30 minutes prior to Saturday's first pitch to honor nine seniors, two managers and their families.
The Bisons will open their final regular season road swing Tuesday with a trip to Austin Peay at 6 p.m. They will then travel to North Florida next weekend for three games.
For more information on the baseball program, continue to check LipscombSports.com for daily updates or follow @BisonBaseball on twitter.