|May 11, 2018||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: German (7-2)||7.0||4||2||2||1||9|
|Loss: COLON (2-3)||7.0||9||3||3||3||4|
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – After climbing itself out of an early hole, the Lipscomb baseball team could not find enough runs as North Florida took a 4-2 victory Friday night in a pivotal ASUN Conference matchup at Harmon Stadium in Jacksonville, Florida.
With the loss the Bisons fall to 20-26 overall and 6-10 in conference play. They are now two games behind the Ospreys (23-23, 8-8 ASUN) in the league table and are tied for sixth with NJIT.
UNF jumped out to an early lead behind a pair of runs in the opening frame to make it 2-0. The home team collected three straight 2-out base knocks, including a run-producing double down the left field line from Tanner Murphy.
The next four innings saw Lipscomb’s Josh Colon and UNF’s Frank German throw zeroes on the board before the Bisons were finally able to break through in the sixth.
Senior second baseman Lee Solomon drew a one-out free pass to get the offense rolling before Cade Sorrells moved him into scoring position with a single to left center. Two batters later, junior third baseman Zeke Dodson drove a double into the gap in right center to bring home Solomon and Sorrells and even the score at 2-2.
UNF quickly responded in the bottom of the inning when a bases-loaded walk from Colon put the Ospreys back on top, 3-2. They then tacked on the game’s final tally in the eighth on a wild pitch from Bison reliever Nicko Ortega.
Lipscomb’s final scoring opportunity came in the top of the eighth when a leadoff single from Blake Thomas eventually put him 90 feet from home after a pair of ground balls. Senior backstop Jeffrey Crisan went down on strikes for the second time of the contest to end the frame.
Colon (2-3) took the loss in 7.0 innings of work with nine hits and three runs allowed. He also struck out four and walked three in 117 pitches. Ortega tossed the final inning with one unearned run on one hit and a walk.
German improved to 7-2 for North Florida on the season with an impressive 7.0-inning outing with four hits and two runs allowed. He struck out nine Bisons and walked just one.
AROUND THE HORN
- With the win, UNF improves to 26-15 all-time against the Bisons.
- Lipscomb was outhit 10-5 and stranded five base runners in the loss.
- Dodson’s double was his team-leading ninth of the season. His two RBI give him 31.
- Five different players recorded a hit for the Bisons.
- Colon's 117 pitches and 7.0 innings pitched are both the second highest marks of his career.
- Solomon's single to lead off the game extended his team-leading hit streak to 11 games.
- UNF struck out 11 Bisons, including four with multiple punchouts.
- Lipscomb was 1-for-7 with runners in scoring position. UNF was 1-for-8.
The Bisons and Ospreys get back at it on Saturday at 1:05 p.m. as Kyle Kemp (1-2, 3.29 ERA) goes up against UNF’s Austin Drury (4-2, 4.75 ERA).