|May 13, 2018||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: Deppermann (2-4)||8.0||5||1||1||2||8|
|Loss: THOMPSON (3-4)||6.2||7||3||3||1||1|
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – North Florida used a two-out, two-run single in the seventh inning Sunday afternoon to catapult the Ospreys to an ASUN Conference series-clinching 3-1 victory against the Lipscomb baseball team at Harmon Stadium on Mother's Day.
The Ospreys (24-24, 9-9 ASUN) put runners at first and second with a pair of singles and one out off Lipscomb starter Noah Thompson. Two batters later, following a fly out to left, the hurler tossed a wild pitch in the dirt and both runners advanced into scoring position. UNF finally broke through on the southpaw when Max Law laced a two-run single to give the Ospreys their first runs and first lead of the game. Thompson was then lifted for Dayton Tripp.
UNF tacked on another run, making it 3-1 Ospreys, when freshman Abraham Sequera singled on the first pitch to bring around Law.
Lipscomb (21-27, 7-11 ASUN) was limited to its lowest run total of the series with just the single tally. The run came in the top of the fourth when senior catcher Jeffrey Crisan stroked a 1-2 pitch over the fence in left for a solo home run, his fourth of the season.
Making his first start since April 21 against Kennesaw State, Thompson tossed 100 pitches and took the hard-luck loss for the Bisons after an impressive 6.2 innings of work where he allowed three runs on seven hits with one strikeout and one walk. He dropped to 3-4 on the year.
The freshman, who retired seven-straight batters at one point, was equally matched on the other side. UNF starter Brad Depperman (2-4) went 8.0 innings in his second consecutive start, permitting five hits and one run while fanning a season-high tying eight and walking two.
Lipscomb was 0-for-4 with runners in scoring position and left a man at third in the fifth inning. The Bisons put Josh Martinez at second and Maddux Houghton at third with one down thanks to a UNF error, a walk and a sacrifice bunt from Chris Bashlor, only to see a strikeout and a groundout halt the threat.
AROUND THE HORN
- The Bisons were outhit 8-5 and left six runners on base.
- Crisan led the offense for Lipscomb going 3-for-4, his first three-hit game since March 29 against NJIT. Along with his solo homer, the backstop also gunned down two would-be base stealers, giving him 14 on the year. He now has 12 multi-hit games, two behind Zeke Dodson for the team high.
- Cade Sorrells (1-for-3) and Martinez (1-for-3) notched the only other base hits for Lipscomb.
- Houghton swiped his ninth stolen base in his rookie campaign. He is third on the team behind Thomas (17) and Lee Solomon (11).
- Along with Tripp, Nicko Ortega and Alex Dorso also made relief appearances for the Bisons. The trio allowed just one hit and struck out one.
- Thompson’s 100 pitches mark his second-highest pitch total of the year.
- Sorrells drew his team-leading 35th walk of the season, while also extending a seven-game hit streak.
Lipscomb returns home for its final three games of the regular season. The Bisons will take on Florida Gulf Coast beginning at 6 p.m. Thursday. The games will be big as the Purple and Gold are currently tied for sixth in the ASUN standings with NJIT. Only six teams will make the conference tournament in Jacksonville, Florida in two weeks.