|May 23, 2018||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: GAU (8-3)||7.0||8||6||4||0||7|
|Loss: COLON (3-4)||4.2||9||7||7||2||3|
|May 24, 2018||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: KNOX (4-5)||5.0||11||3||3||2||0|
|Loss: STAFFLINGER (4-5)||1.2||5||4||4||0||2|
|May 25, 2018||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: Vaka (1-2)||3.0||2||0||0||1||2|
|Loss: DORSO (3-3)||0.2||1||1||1||1||1|
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – With the 2018 regular season in the rear view, the Lipscomb baseball team must now turn its focus to the ASUN Championship.
For the 5th-seeded Bisons, that postseason quest begins Wednesday at 2 p.m. CT when they battle No. 2 Jacksonville in the second game of the tournament at Harmon Stadium in Jacksonville, Florida on the campus of North Florida.
Lipscomb (23-28, 9-12 ASUN) and Jacksonville (37-17, 14-6 ASUN) can be seen on ESPN+ with Robert Harper and Brice Zimmerman on the call.
Wednesday’s contest will represent the fourth time in last five years that the Bisons and Dolphins have met in the opening game of the ASUN Championship. Lipscomb fell 8-2 against top-seeded JU last season in Fort Myers, but won the previous two, 10-8 in Nashville in 2016 and then 2-1 in 10 innings in 2014.
Lipscomb – Joshua Colon – (3-3, 2.86 ERA, 50.1 IP, 16 ER, 33 K, 26 BB)
Jacksonville – Chris Gau - (7-3, 2.47 ERA, 98.1 IP, 27 ER, 84 K, 19 BB)
Jacksonville earned the league’s No. 2 seed after compiling a 37-17 overall record and a 14-6 mark in conference action. The Dolphins are making their 14th appearance in the ASUN Championship and are seeking their fifth title, after having not won since 2009.
JU leads the ASUN in runs (331), hits (537) and batting average (.293) heading into this week. Angel Camacho (51) & Scott Dubrule (49) have combined for 100 RBI this season, the only ASUN duo to reach that mark. Camacho is the first Dolphin to reach 50 since Connor Marabell had 54 RBI in 2015.
Sophomore hurler Tyler Santana has been on a roll lately, winning five-straight decisions. He is one of only two ASUN pitchers to reach 10 victories this year. His 2.93 ERA is second on the team amongst starters.
Chris Lehane has a 7-game hitting streak and has recorded multiple hits in five of those seven games. He hit a league-high .405 against ASUN teams.
Dolphins projected starting pitcher - junior Chris Gau - has been a workhorse on the. He has tossed 98.1 innings, including two complete games. His 2.47 ERA ranks fifth in the ASUN.
Freshman closer Chris Mauloni set a new program-record with 18 saves, which ranks second in the nation. His 13.20 K/9 ratio is the best on the team.
AROUND THE HORN:
- Jacksonville leads the all-time series against Lipscomb 29-18, including a 2-1 series win in 2018. The Dolphins outscored the Bisons 29-20 in the three games.
- The Bisons are making their 6th-straight appearance in the ASUN Championship. Lipscomb has won two titles, in 2008 and 2015.
- Lipscomb’s offense exploded for 26 runs in last week’s must-win series against FGCU.
- The Bisons have scored double-digit runs in seven contests this season, going 6-1 in those games.
- Senior Lee Solomon earned the final Player of the Week honor after hitting .545 and slugging 1.182 in the series against FGCU. His two homers and five RBI powered the Bisons into the final postseason spot.
- Senior backstop Jeffrey Crisan broke out this season by leading the team with a .299 batting average. He has 14 multi-hit games, including three of his last four. His six home runs and 32 RBI are tied for second-best marks on the squad.
- Crisan is third in the ASUN having gunned down 14 would-be base stealers. He also leads Lipscomb with five pickoffs.
- The Purple and Gold have hit the most homers of any ASUN team heading into the postseason with 40. Solomon took over the team lead last week with seven, while Crisan is tied with Jake Perry with six.
- Freshman southpaw Noah Thompson has pitched 59.2 innings and holds the best ERA among ASUN freshman hurlers at 3.02. The lefty earned the postseason-clinching win for the Bisons against FGCU.
- Junior third baseman Zeke Dodson leads the team with 33 RBI, 52 hits and is tied at the top with nine doubles. He finished the regular season batting .281 after being only one of two (Cade Sorrells) Bisons to have started all 51 games this year.
- Senior shortstop Blake Thomas is perfect in 17 base stealing attempts. His season total is third best in the ASUN.
- Sorrells leads the team with 38 walks on the season. Dodson is next closest with 30.
- Colon sports the best ERA among all Bison pitchers at 2.86 in 50.1 innings. He will make his first career postseason start for Lipscomb on Wednesday
- Robbie Knox paces the squad with five saves on the year. Kyle Kemp is just behind with four.
The winner between Lipscomb and Jacksonville will play the winner of No. 3 Kennesaw State and No. 4 North Florida at 6 p.m. Thursday.
The loser of Lipscomb-Jacksonville meeting will get the loser of No. 1 Stetson and No. 6 NJIT at 10 a.m. Thursday.
The ASUN Championship is a double-elimination format.