|February 15, 2019||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: KACHMAR (1-0)||6.0||2||0||0||1||6|
|Loss: Kornacker (0-1)||4.2||1||4||3||4||4|
|February 16, 2019||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: Tieman (1-0)||5.0||6||3||3||2||3|
|Loss: THOMPSON (0-1)||2.1||5||6||5||3||2|
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Baseball is officially back in the Music City as the Lipscomb baseball team opens its season this weekend with a three-game series versus Valparaiso at Ken Dugan Field at Stephen L. Marsh Stadium. First pitch on Friday has been moved up to 1 p.m. due to weather.
This is the 10th consecutive season that Lipscomb has opened the season at home. The Bisons are 5-4 during on opening days during that span.
Head coach Jeff Forehand enters his 13th season at the helm for the Bisons with an overall record of 328-361 and 154-157 in ASUN conference play.
This weekends series will be the first ever meeting between the two ball clubs.
- Friday - February 15 at 1 p.m.
- Saturday - February 16 at 2 p.m.
- Sunday - February 17 at 1 p.m.
Live stats and a Facebook Live video stream will be available for all three games.
Projected Weekend Rotation:
- Friday - RHP Chris Kachmar (Sr.) vs. RHP Mike Kornacker
- Saturday - LHP Noah Thompson (So.) vs. RHP Jon Tieman
- Sunday - RHP Joshua Colon (Sr.) vs. RHP Colin Fields
- Valpo finished the season with an overall record of 19-34 and 6-15 in their first season in the Missori Valley Conference.
- They had four wins versus teams that finished in the top-50 RPI rankings last season, including wins over Illinois and Oklahoma.
- They displayed some offensive firepower during the 2018 season ranking top-5 in program history in doubles, home runs and walks.
- Second baseman Chase Dawson led off and started all 53 games for the Crusaders hitting .265 while leading the team in triples (5) and stolen bases (10).
- Left fielder Blake Billinger was named to the 2018 MVC All-Conference First Team after batting .323 and starting all 53 games in his first season with the Crusaders. He also tied a progam record with 23 doubles and led the team in batting average at .342 versus conference opponents.
- Tieman was the key man in the Crusader rotation last season. He compiled a 5-5 record in 16 appearances making 15 starts with a 5.11 ERA.
Around the Diamond:
- Lipscomb finished last season with an overall record of 24-30 and 9-12 in ASUN play. This was the first time in four seasons where the Bisons ended with a sub-500 record.
- Lipscomb showed off the power hitting 46 home runs as team, which led the ASUN.
- When the Bisons got on base they liked to run stealing 72 bases (second in the ASUN), while 26 of those came during ASUN play, which led the league.
- Senior Cade Sorrells will once again be the main man at first base for the Bisons. Sorrells batted .228 last season, drove in 32 RBI and tied for the team lead in triples with two.
- Sorrells also led the team with 40 walks (second in the ASUN) and ranked third on the team in on-base percentage at .358
- Across the diamond at third base will be senior Zeke Dodson. Dodson collected 55 hits in 197 at-bats to lead the Purple and Gold during 2018. His .279 batting was good for third on the team and he also drove in 33 RBI.
- Dodson also led the team with 12 two-hit games.
- In the outfield, ASUN All-Freshman Team selection Maddoux Houghton returns as the primary centerfielder. Houghton hit .265 with 45 base hits and drove in 23 RBI.
- On the mound, Lipscomb returns all three of their top starters from a season ago.
- Chris Kachmar led the team in innings pitched with 65 and strikeouts with 66 while only walking 26 batters. Kachmar had a 3-3 record with an ERA of 4.43
- Joshua Colon went 3-4 with a 3.76 ERA in his 11 appearances off the mound, all of which were starts.
- All-Freshman Team selection Noah Thompson compiled a record of 4-4 in 59.2 innings of work over 11 starts. He finished first on the team and first among all ASUN freshmen with a 3.02 ERA.
- In total Lipscomb has 13 newcomers joining the squad for the 2019 season; nine freshmen and four junior college transfers.
- The Bisons were picked seventh in the ASUN Preseason Poll after a fifth place finish in 2018.
The Bisons will stay on their home field for a midweek matchup versus Western Kentucky on Tuesday, Feb. 19. First pitch is set for 4 p.m. (CST).