|February 19, 2019||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: GUILFOIL (1-0)||5.0||1||0||0||1||9|
|Loss: Hunter Crosby (0-1)||2.0||2||2||0||2||0|
|Ray Zuberer III (WKU)||5||0||1||0||0||0|
|Matt Phipps (WKU)||4||1||1||0||0||0|
|Jake Sanford (WKU)||4||0||1||1||0||0|
|Jack Wilson (WKU)||4||0||1||0||0||0|
|Sam McElreath (WKU)||4||0||1||0||0||0|
|Jackson Swiney (WKU)||3||0||1||0||0||0|
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Lipscomb baseball team is back in action Tuesday at Ken Dugan Field with an 11 a.m. scheduled start time for a midweek matchup with Western Kentucky.
The Bisons (1-1) saw their rubber match of the opening series with Valparaiso get cancelled due to rain and are hoping weather won't become a factor for a second straight game. The game has been pushed up to an 11 a.m. start time instead of the originally planned 4 p.m. start due to predicted bad weather.
Lipscomb displayed a dominant pitching peformance in its 6-0 opening-day victory over Valparaiso behind the arms of Chris Kachmar and Alex Dorso. On Saturday the Bisons two-out rally in the bottom of the ninth fell just short as they lost to the Crusaders 8-6.
This will be the 82nd all-time meeting between the Bisons and the Hilltoppers. WKU holds a 42-38-1 advantage in series history.
The last time these two teams got together was during the 2017 season in Bowling Green, Kentucky where the Bisons came away with a 10-4 victory. Cade Sorrells led the charge for the Bisons offense going 3-for-5 at the plate with three RBI.
Lipscomb - RHP Tyler Gulifoil (Fr.): Making first career start
Western Kentucky - RHP Hunter Crosby (Fr.): Making first career start
- The Hilltoppers swept their opening series versus Northern Kentucky over the weekend. They won the opener 9-6 followed by a 5-4 victory in extras on Saturday and ended the series with a 19-2 victory.
- The 19 runs were the most scored by WKU at its home field since a 20-7 win over VCU on March 28, 2009.
- Junior catcher Matt Phipps leads the Hilltoppers with a .545 batting average and in RBI with six.
- Crosby is a Dickson, Tennessee native who stands at 6-foot-4.
- WKU has a total of eight players on their roster hitting over .300 for the 2019 season.
AROUND THE HORN:
- Chris Bashlor leads the Bisons in batting average at .429 and RBI with five after going 3-for-7 with a home run in the opening series.
- David Graves is second on the team with a .333 hitting clip and has one of the two extra base hits on the season for the Bisons.
- Freshman JT Caver made his collegiate debut from the bullpen on Saturday throwing three scoreless innings without allowing a hit.
- Tyler Sills also made his collegiate debut out of the pen on Saturday and needed just four pitches to set down Valparaiso in order.
Lipscomb stays home this weekend for four games in the 2nd Annual SAF Dirt Classic. The Bisons will host alongside Belmont and Middle Tennessee. They will welcome Toledo, Northern Illinois, Bradley and Western Michigan. Each team will play a game at the respective host sites.
The Bisons will face Toledo at 4 p.m. Thursday, NIU at 4 p.m. Friday, Bradley at 2 p.m. Saturday and Western Michigan at 1 p.m. on Sunday.