|February 21, 2019||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: KACHMAR (2-0)||5.0||9||6||5||1||6|
|Loss: BISCHOFF (0-1)||1.1||4||7||5||5||1|
|February 24, 2019||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: SZOTT (1-0)||6.0||10||5||5||0||3|
|Loss: THOMPSON (0-2)||2.2||8||11||8||2||1|
|February 24, 2019||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||R||H||E|
|Win: DORSO (1-0)||0.2||3||1||1||0||0|
|Loss: MILLER (0-1)||0.2||3||5||5||0||1|
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb baseball team will continue its home stand this weekend to host the Second Annual Southern Athletic Field Dirt Classic. Toledo, Northern Illinois, Bradley and Western Michigan will be traveling to the Music City to partake in the tournament action.
Lipscomb (2-1) will start off the round-robin tournament against Toledo (2-1) with a 1 p.m. start time on Thursday at Ken Dugan Field at Stephen L. Marsh Stadium. Next up for the Bisons will be a Friday matchup at 4 p.m. with Northern Illinois (0-4). Saturday’s game is scheduled for a 2 p.m. start against Bradley (2-1). On Sunday, Lipscomb will finish the tournament with a 1 p.m. start time versus Western Michigan (0-3).
Live stats will be available for all four games. All the games will be streamed on Facebook Live via the Lipscomb Baseball page.
Thursday – RHP JT Caver vs. RHP Kyle Bischoff
Friday – RHP Chris Kachmar vs. TBA
Saturday – LHP Noah Thompson vs. LHP Brooks Gosswein
Sunday – RHP Joshua Colon vs. TBA
SCOUTING THE COMPETITION:
- Toledo went 2-1 in its weekend series against Winthrop. Both of the Rockets wins came by way of late game comebacks. In 2018, the Rockets finished with an overall record of 22-33 but had a winning record in conference play going 14-13. Sophomore infielder Chris Meyers was recently awarded the Mid American Conference Player of the Week.
- Northern Illinois was swept in two doubleheaders at California Baptist University to begin its season. Sophomore Connor Montgomery showed some power at the plate for the Huskies hitting two home runs and driving in four runs. In 2018, NIU finished the season with an overall record of 20-36, going 9-18 in conference play.
- Bradley finished its season-opening weekend going 2-1 against Central Arkansas. The Braves won the first two games of the series with scores of 5-2 and 4-3 before losing the finale 13-9. The Braves finished the 2018 season with a record of 32-19 going 11-10 in conference play. They were picked to finish fourth in the 2019 Missouri Valley preseason poll.
- Western Michigan heads to Nashville with a 0-3 record after getting swept last weekend at Southeast Missouri State. The Broncos hit .248 for their opening-series. WMU ended the 2018 season with a record of 23-25, going 12-13 in conference play. They were picked to finish eighth in the 2019 MAC preseason poll.
AROUND THE HORN:
- As a team the Bisons have a 2.33 ERA, which is the best mark in the ASUN and ranks 33rd in the nation.
- The Bisons pitching staff is allowing just six hits per nine innings. That mark is good for second in the conference and 24th nationally.
- David Graves leads the team in batting average with a .417 clip and in extra-base hits with two doubles and a home run on the season.
- Zeke Dodson is second on the team in batting average at .375. The senior has collected three hits in eight at-bats.
- Chris Bashlor paces in the team in RBI with five, while hitting at a .333 clip for the third best mark on the team.
- Kachmar and Tyler Guilfoil didn’t give up a run in their first starts of the 2019 season.
- Kachmar went scoreless over six innings pitched with two hits, one walk and six strikeouts.
- Guilfoil went scoreless over five innings pitched with one hit, one walk and nine strikeouts.
- Alex Dorso has made two relief appearances for the Bisons and has gave up zero runs, four hits, and two walks, struck out four batters and picked up one save.
Lipscomb will have a few days off before getting back to it with a three-game series versus Xavier at Dugan Field March 1-3. First pitch on Friday is set for 4 p.m.