MURFREESBORO, Tenn. – The Lipscomb baseball returns to the state of Tennessee, but will stay on the road for a midweek matchup with Middle Tennessee on Tuesday.
The Bisons (10-8) lost two out of three over the weekend in their first road trip of the season at Ohio State. Cade Sorrells hit the first grand slam of his career to secure a 9-3 victory over the Buckeyes last Saturday. Sorrells’ grand slam was the first of the season for the Purple and Gold and the first since Tevin Symonette hit one on March 21, 2018 against Middle Tennessee.
This will be the first time this season that Lipscomb and Middle Tennessee will meet. The two ball clubs will face-off again later in the season at Dugan Field on April 16.
First pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m. at Reese Smith Jr. Field. The game can also be streamed on the Conference USA website and live stats will be available as well.
- The Blue Raiders went 2-1 over the weekend at UTSA and have an overall record of 7-12 on the season.
- Middle Tennessee has been on the road for 11 of its last 12 games and went 3-9 during that span.
- Aaron Antonini leads MTSU in hitting with a batting average of .310. He also leads the team in doubles (7), runs scored (10), RBI (11) and total bases (32).
- Scheldon Paulk has been the go-to-guy out of the bullpen. Over 13 innings, Paulk has just allowed one earned run, one walk and has 16 strikeouts on the year.
AROUND THE HORN:
- Chris Bashlor continues to lead the Bisons in hitting with a clip of .400. He also leads the team in RBI with 16 and hits with 24.
- Ty Jones moved into the starting lineup over the past week in right field. The freshman hit .385 and drew a team leading eight walks since being inserted into the starting lineup.
- Zeke Dodson had a career day in an 18-3 win over Belmont last Tuesday. The senior went 4-for-6 at the plate with a two-run homer and five RBI.
- The Purple and Gold dropped both meetings last season with MTSU losing by scores of 8-7 and 12-6.
Lipscomb will stay on the road to open up ASUN Conference play taking on the Dolphins in Jacksonville for a weekend series. First pitch on Friday will be at 6 p.m.