NASHVILLE – The Lipscomb baseball team makes it way back to the Music City for a midweek matchup with No. 6 Vanderbilt on Tuesday.
The game will be held at a neutral site at the home of the Nashville Sounds, First Tennessee Park. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.
The Commodores and Bisons have met 24 times, with Vanderbilt having a 20-4 advantage in the series.
Last season, Lipscomb got the better of Vanderbilt coming away with a 5-1 victory. Cade Sorrells and Zeke Dodson had big days at the plate, each finishing 2-for-4 and driving in all five of Lipscomb's runs. Sorrells had three RBI and Dodson had two.
The Bisons (11-11, 0-3 ASUN) are coming off their first conference series of the season, in which they were swept by Jacksonville. All three games were close contents, with each game being decided by one run, but Lipscomb was unable to come out on top.
There will be no live broadcast, but audio and live stats will be available.
Lipscomb – RHP Scott Elgin – (1-0, 3.72 ERA)
Vanderbilt – RHP Mason Hickman – (2-0, 1.88 ERA)
- The Commodores enter the contest with an overall record of 19-5 and 4-2 in Southeastern Conference play.
- Vanderbilt completed a sweep of No. 14 Florida over the weekend and is currently on a four game winning streak.
- Hickman will be making his second start of the season, but has appeared in seven games mainly as a reliever. His 1.88 ERA is the second best mark on the team and he is holding opponents to just a .198 batting average.
- Austin Martin leads the Commodores at the plate with a .434 batting average with 36 hits in 83 at-bats. Ethan Paul is second on the squad with a .394 batting average and leads the team in RBI with 35.
AROUND THE HORN:
- Dodson paces the Bisons with a .361 batting average and 21 runs scored.
- Sorrells had a productive weekend batting in seven of the 11 Lipscomb runs in the series with Jacksonville. He is batting .282 with a team-leading 22 RBI.
- Tevin Symonette isn’t afraid to show off his speed on the base paths swiping 10 bags this season. He leads the ASUN and ranks 67th in the nation.
- Maddux Houghton is seeing the ball well at the plate with a .359 batting average. The sophomore paces the team in hits (28), triples (3) and total bases (39).
- Elgin will be making his fifth start of the season and ranks fourth on the team with his 3.72 ERA.
- Max Habegger and Tyler Guilfoil are tied for a team-high nine appearances out of the bullpen for the Bisons.
- Guilfoil has a record of 1-0 and a team-leading ERA of 1.69 with 34 strikeouts. Habegger is 2-1with a 4.61 ERA.
- Senior Robbie Knox leads the team with three saves on the season.
Lipscomb will return to the friendly confides of Ken Dugan Field after being on the road for eight straight games with a conference series versus Kennesaw State. The series will open on Friday with a 6 p.m. start time.