|April 09, 2019||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: Chase Silseth (1-1)||3.1||0||0||0||0||5|
|Loss: STEVENTON (0-1)||3.0||5||4||4||2||0|
|Alerick Soularie (UT)||4||3||3||2||0||2|
|April 10, 2019||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: D. Harper (3-1)||2.0||1||0||0||1||0|
|Loss: HABEGGER (2-2)||1.0||0||1||1||1||2|
|T. Collett (UK)||4||1||2||0||0||0|
|C. Hill (UK)||4||1||2||0||0||0|
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb baseball team is set to take on two opponents from the Southeastern Conference as the Bisons take on Tennessee and Kentucky in back-to-back games this week.
The Purple and Gold will head to Knoxville on Tuesday to take on the Volunteers and return home to Dugan Field on Wednesday to host the Wildcats. Tuesday’s game is scheduled for 5 p.m. and Wednesday’s game will get underway at 6 p.m.
The matchup with Tennessee will be broadcast on SECN+, while the contest with Kentucky will be on ESPN+. Live stats will be available for both games as well.
Tuesday – LHP Palmer Steventon (0-0, 3.00 ERA) vs. RHP Elijah Pleasants (0-0, 0.00 ERA)
Wednesday – RHP Erik Gutierrez (0-0, 4.50 ERA) vs. TBD
SCOUTING THE COMPETITION:
- Tennessee is coming off a weekend series versus No. 5 Mississippi State in which the Vols went 1-2. They have an overall record of 23-10 and are 4-8 in SEC play.
- Tennessee’s lone win over the weekend was the second time this year it has beaten a top-5 ranked team.
- Alerick Soularie leads the Vols in hitting with a batting average of .391. The sophomore also leads the SEC in slugging percentage (.674) and on-base percentage (.504).
- Freshman Elijah Pleasants will be making his first career start on Tuesday. The right hander has seen just 8.1 innings of work this season, but has not allowed a run and has given up only one hit.
- Kentucky has an overall record of 17-15 on the season and is 2-10 in SEC play.
- The Wildcats are in the middle of an eight-game road trip and have gone 1-3 so far losing to Louisville 8-3 on April 2 and dropping two out of three games against Missouri over the weekend.
- Kentucky has three players hitting over .300 on the year and are lead by Ryan Shinn with a .333 batting average. The senior outfielder has started every game for the Wildcats this season and has some power at the plate leading the Wildcats in hits (39), doubles (15) and home runs (8).
- Jaren Shelby is another top producer at the plate for Kentucky. The junior is hitting .312 on the season and ranks second on the team in hits with 34 and RBI with 27.
AROUND THE HORN:
- The Bisons are looking to get back on track after getting swept by ASUN foe Florida Gulf Coast over the weekend.
- Lipscomb was riding a four-game win streak coming into the series against FGCU.
- Maddux Houghton continues to have a hot bat and leads the Bisons in hitting with a .391 batting average. The sophomore centerfielder also leads the team recording 39 hits on the year and ranks second with 25 RBI.
- Houghton has been on a power surge as of late hitting three home runs in four games to put in him in a tie for the most on the team.
- After a slow start Cade Sorrells has boosted his batting average over the .300 mark and is now hitting .313 on the season. The senior has driven in the most runs for the Bisons with 33 RBI.
- Haddon Adams hit his first home run of the year the last time the Bisons took to the diamond in their 6-2 loss on Sunday at FGCU.
- Palmer Steventon will be making his first start of the season on Tuesday night against the Vols. The sophomore lefty has appeared in just three games this season and has only 3.0 innings of work under his belt.
- Erik Gutierrez will be making his second start of the season on Wednesday. In Gutierrez’s last start, in a 9-8 victory over Austin Peay, he went four innings and allowed six hits and four earned runs.
The Bisons will continue with non-conference play as they host Texas Southern for a weekend series at Dugan Field. The series will open up on Friday with first pitch at 6 p.m.